Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Xref integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Xref, please fill out a support request for additional assistance.
- Add Checkr to Xref
- Enable Checkr setup
- Create a Checkr account
- Order Background Checks
- Checkr Features
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Xref, such that Xref users can initiate and view Checkr background checks from within the Xref interface.
The following items are required to initiate Xref / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Xref, with admin rights
Add Checkr to Xref
First, enable Checkr from within Xref. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Xref to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate integration, go to the “Integrations” section of your Xref dashboard from the home page.
Scroll down to find Checkr and click "Request connection". This will automatically create the email request to firstname.lastname@example.org to enable the Checkr connection feature. Once that has been completed, the Xref integrations team will advise you when you are ready to return to the Checkr - US tab under Integrations and click the button next to “Not Connected” in the top left corner.
Clicking the button will open a window asking you to Sign Up or Sign In.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to Xref.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Xref.
To create an account for use with Xref:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Xref. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Xref and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Xref platform.
- Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Order Background Checks
Once your Xref and Checkr accounts are connected, there are a few different ways you can order a Checkr background check.
If you are making a New Request from the dashboard, you can select to add in a Checkr background check automatically with your reference checks by selecting the package you would like included in that candidate’s check.
If you are making a New Request from the dashboard, you may also choose to do a “Checkr Only” check on the candidate instead of a reference plus Checkr check.
If you have existing candidates that have a reference check but you’d like to run a Checkr background check on them, you can click “add check” underneath the “Integrated Checks” column, select your package and run the background check.
Once the background check has been ordered, the status of the report will be shown by the outline color of the “USA” box in the Xref candidate dashboard under the Integrated Checks column. If the box is orange, the check is “Pending”; if the box is red, the report has come back “Complete - Consider”; and if the box is green the report has come back “Complete - Clear”. Once Complete, click on it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.