Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / BambooHR integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to BambooHR, please fill out a support request for additional assistance.
BambooHR / Checkr User Guide
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within BambooHR, such that BambooHR users can initiate and view Checkr background checks from within the BambooHR interface.
The following items are required to initiate BambooHR / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to BambooHR, with admin rights
Add Checkr to BambooHR
First, enable Checkr from within BambooHR. You must have admin access to both Checkr and BambooHR to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate integration, either visit [this link] to sign in or sign up for Checkr or navigate to the Checkr page on the BambooHR Marketplace and click “Install Application”. You will be prompted to fill out your company’s subdomain name for BambooHR. The following page will ask you to login to your BambooHR account. Once you have logged in, you will be taken to Checkr’s OAuth flow to sign in to an existing Checkr account or sign up for a new Checkr account.
Enable the Integration Between Checkr and BambooHR
To enable the integration between Checkr and BambooHR, use [this link] and follow the prompts:
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to BambooHR..
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information. [See next section for additional details on creating a Checkr account.]
- Once you have completed signing in or signing up, you will be redirected back to a login page for your BambooHR account. Enter your user credentials and login to your BambooHR account
- Once inside your BambooHR account, navigate to the settings section in the upper right corner.
- Then navigate to the “Hiring” section of the settings menu and create 4 new Candidate Statuses for background checks (Note: Spacing and punctuation do matter for the integration to work, please copy these statuses exactly):
- Background Check Initiate
- Background Check In Progress
- Background Check Complete - Consider
- Background Check Complete - Clear
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with BambooHR.
To create an account for use with BambooHR:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
3. Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from BambooHR. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both BambooHR and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the BambooHR’s platform.
Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Order Background Checks
Once your BambooHR and Checkr accounts are connected and the new statuses have been created, return to a candidate’s page, and change the status of that candidate to Background Check - Initiate.
Note: Please also ensure that the Job Position is set to "Open" in BambooHR. If it is under another status (i.e. Intern, etc.), the background check will not initiate into Checkr.
The candidate information will then be sent over directly into your Checkr account to begin a new background check. Note: If this candidate already exists in your Checkr account, the status will be changed to Background Check In Progress
Login to your Checkr account and navigate to the Candidates section. Find the candidate from BambooHR and send a background check invitation to them by selecting your desired package.
Once the invite has been sent, BambooHR will automatically be updated with the appropriate status of the candidate’s check and a link to the candidate’s report can be found within the Notes section of that Candidate at BambooHR.
- If the candidate’s report comes back clear, the status in BambooHR will change to Background Check Complete - Clear
- If the candidate’s report comes back consider, the status in the BambooHR will change to Background Check Complete - Consider
- If the candidate’s report has not completed yet, it will remain in the status of Background Check In Progress
Once in any Complete status, click on the link in the Notes section to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the BambooHR integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.