You take different actions depending on what on your report is incorrect.
My personal information is incorrect
If an item below is incorrect on your report, refer to How do I update my personal information on a report?
- Birth date (DOB)
- Social Security number (SSN)
- Phone number
- ZIP code
The records on my report are not mine or are not accurate
If your background check report contains information you believe to be inaccurate, you can file a dispute. Examples of disputes include the ones below:
- A record reported doesn't belong to you.
- A record has incorrect details such as dates or charge type.
- A case status changed after the record was reported.
To submit a dispute, follow the steps below:
- Log in to the Candidate Portal.
- Locate the report containing inaccurate information.
- Select "File a dispute" at the bottom of the page.
- Choose the incorrect record(s) based on the options provided.
- To assist with the investigation process, provide as much information and documentation as possible to support why you feel the record is inaccurate.
- Submit the dispute.
Once your dispute is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email.
Uploading relevant documentation
There are two ways you can upload documentation to support your dispute:
- Upload the documentation during the dispute process within the Candidate Portal.
- Reply to the confirmation email and include your image as an attachment.
If the "File a dispute" button isn't an option and you want to dispute something, you can use a method below:
- Contact Checkr.
- Mail your dispute to Checkr Inc. 1 Montgomery St. Suite 2400, San Francisco, CA 94104.
Checkr will review and conduct a reinvestigation into the information.
I’ve turned my life around and my report doesn’t reflect who I am today
At Checkr, we’re proud to help candidates share additional context or evidence of rehabilitation directly with the organizations they apply to. For more information about candidate stories, refer to I've turned my life around and my background check report doesn't reflect who I am today. How do I share my story?