Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Lever integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Lever, please submit a request via Lever’s request form for additional assistance.
- Create a Checkr account
- Connect to Checkr
- Order Background Checks
- Domestic Package with International Verifications
- Candidate Experience
- Review A Background Check
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The following items are required to enable and use the Checkr integration. (Please make sure you have the following before proceeding.
- Super Admin access in Lever
- Admin access in Checkr
Create a Checkr account
- To create an account for use with Lever, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Lever and you, and the next step is to reach out to Lever to turn on the integration.
- Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Connect to Checkr
The Checkr integration needs to be set up by the Lever team after the Checkr account is authorized and enabled for API access. If you have issues using Lever’s integration with Checkr, please reach out to Lever support via Lever’s request form for additional assistance.
- A Super Admin on the Lever Hire account should navigate to the account settings and locate the Checkr integration.
- Select the toggle to expand the window, and then click the "Send Request to Enable" button.
- Your Live Secret (API key) from your Checkr production instance will need to be sent securely (only admins in Checkr have the capability of creating an API token).
- Go to Developer Settings
- Click on Create new key
- Select Live Secret
- Click Show key next to the newly generated key
- Copy the “Live Secret” key and send it over to your Account Manager at Lever
- The name of the default package
- The name of the stage to trigger the initial background check (e.g. Background Check)
- (Optional) The name of the stage to advance the candidate after a successful background check
- Authorization to add the appropriate API key and webhook settings in your Lever account - do not delete these, or the integration will stop working!
Order Background Checks
Once your Lever and Checkr accounts are connected, a background check will be ordered once a candidate reaches the background check stage. They will receive an e-mail to begin the background check process. Once the invitation has been sent, the status will update to Report Pending.
Domestic Package with International Verifications
If your candidate works in the United States but has out-of-country history, for example, attended school internationally, request a package that includes an education verification with out-of-country history enabled. Checkr offers an out-of-country history setting that can be added to any domestic criminal search or verification.
The option can be applied for candidates who will perform their work inside the US, but who have an address history outside the US. Screening types that can be run on domestic screenings with out-of-country history include:
- Education Verification
- Employment Verification
Review A Background Check
Once the background check has been ordered, the status of the report will be listed in the Lever candidate dashboard. Once complete, click on it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details.
For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center which covers:
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- New and existing user management
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate's experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr