Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Workstream integration process and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
- Before starting
- Create a Checkr Account
- Account Hierarchy
- Order A Background Check
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
- Review A Background Check
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
The following items are required to initiate Workstream / Checkr integration.
- Admin access to both Checkr and Workstream
Create a Checkr Account
- To create a company account within Workstream, go to Company > Integrations > Checkr.
- Select Connect.
- If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integrating with Workstream.
- To create an account for use with Workstream:
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to Workstream.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, fill out the needed fields, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your company information.
- Next, enter payment information - credit card or bank information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, not from Workstream. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Select Finish Sign Up, which will submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Workstream and you to begin ordering background checks through the Workstream platform.
If you use Account Hierarchy in your Checkr account, Workstream will show you the nodes and assigned packages from your Checkr account, and then you can select which ones to enable.
The integration allows users to set up different nodes inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr requires you to assign packages to nodes once they are created and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
Each time you order a background check, you will be asked which node to order the check from and then select from a pre-populated list of packages available to that node. Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within two billing cycles after setup.
To order a background check with Account Hierarchy and nodes:
- Fill in the work location of the candidate as you normally would for any background check.
- Select which Hierarchy node you would like to order from.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run. If you do not see any packages populating, you will need to assign the appropriate packages to that node in your Checkr dashboard before proceeding.
Order A Background Check
Select and enable background check packages
- If you don’t use Account Hierarchy in your Checkr account when ordering a background check, you'll select from the default packages provided by Workstream, and you can select which ones to enable.
Add a background check stage to your hiring process for any position
- Go to the Positions tab.
- Select your brand. If you only have one brand, proceed to the next step.
- Select the arrow-down button next to the brand name to select a location.
- Select a position. Then, select the three-dotted line located in the last column.
- Select Edit Position. You can also select the position name to take you to the Edit job summary page.
- Go to Stages. Select the Add new stage button.
- Select Background check, then type any stage name for it and drag it to any order that you want to place it.
- If you don’t use Account Hierarchy, select which background check package to run for your position.
- If Account Hierarchy is enabled for your account, select both the node and the background check package to run for your position.
- Select the Automation tab, then select the automation rule that says When a candidate enters this stage...Send them a message. This ensures that when you move the candidate to this stage, they will receive a notification about it.
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate's experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center, where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
Review A Background Check
To view a candidate's background check status, follow the steps below.
- Log in to your Workstream account.
- Navigate to Candidates.
- Select a Position.
- Under Stages, select Background Check.
- Select the candidate's name.
- On the candidate's profile tab, select Background.
- A detailed status of the candidate's background check will appear along with the option for you to log directly into Checkr.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings