Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Alliance Payroll integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Alliance Payroll, please email email@example.com for additional assistance.
Alliance Payroll / Checkr User Guide
- Order Background Checks
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Alliance Payroll, such that Alliance Payroll users can initiate, view, and process Checkr background checks from within their Alliance Payroll account.
The following items are required to initiate Alliance Payroll / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Alliance Payroll, with admin rights
- To enable the integration, go to your AllPay dashboard. From the main screen, click on Configuration.
- Click Application Configuration at the top of the screen, then Integrations. Next to Checkr, click Connect which will bring you to the sign-up or sign-in flow.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign in to connect your current Checkr account to Alliance Payroll.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information.
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Alliance Payroll.
To create an account for use with Alliance Payroll:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Alliance Payroll. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Alliance Payroll and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Alliance Payroll platform.
Credentialing is instantaneous for most accounts; if we cannot verify your information immediately, our team will manually review your account, which typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
- From the dashboard, go to the Onboard menu and click Applicants to view the list of your candidates
- Click on the candidate for which you would like to run a background check. This will open up the applicant menu on the right side. On the top left of the applicant menu, click Order a Background Check
- On the background check dialog, choose 'Checkr' and the package that you want to run for the applicant. You can see the progress of the background check process in the Background Check section of the applicant menu
The candidate will then receive an email from Checkr directing them to a Checkr-hosted website to provide the information Checkr needs to run a check. For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
- From the dashboard, go to the HR Menu and click Background Checks
- Search for the employee that you would like to run a background check for and click on the Add button for a new background check request.
- Choose 'Checkr' and the package you want to run. Click Save the New Record to send the background check.
If you would like your Checkr invoice to be broken out by the total cost of checks run by AllPay code, you can by utilizing the Account Hierarchy feature.
- Fill out a Checkr support request asking for Account Hierarchy to be turned on in your account
- Once Hierarchy is enabled in your Checkr account, navigate to your AllPay dashboard. Click on Configuration, then Application Configuration and find Checkr.
- Click on Checkr Segmentation next to the Checkr description to pull up the Account Hierarchy Setup.
- Select which level of AllPay Codes you want to use for your Hierarchy breakdown in Checkr and click Sync with Checkr & Save to activate account hierarchy
- Now your Checkr monthly invoice will display the total amounts run by each AllPay code level you selected.
Note: You will still be billed once and to one payment account, only your invoice will be broken out by AllPay code. There is not currently support for different billing accounts for different AllPay codes.
The Alliance Payroll integration allows you to order background checks and view their status; however, the following features are available only from within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.