Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Alliance Payroll integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Alliance Payroll, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Alliance Payroll / Checkr User Guide
- Order Background Checks
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Alliance Payroll, such that Alliance Payroll users can initiate, view, and process Checkr background checks from within their Alliance Payroll account.
The following items are required to initiate Alliance Payroll / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Alliance Payroll, with admin rights
To enable the integration, go to your AllPay dashboard. From the main screen, click on Company.
Click Application Configuration then Integrations then next to Checkr, click Connect. This will bring you to a Checkr-hosted site asking you to Sign Up or Sign In.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign in to connect your current Checkr account to Alliance Payroll.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information.
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Alliance Payroll.
To create an account for use with Alliance Payroll:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Alliance Payroll. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Alliance Payroll and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Alliance Payroll platform.
Credentialing is instantaneous for most accounts; if we cannot verify your information immediately, our team will manually review your account, which typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Once your Alliance Payroll and Checkr accounts are connected, return to the dashboard, and click Onboard.
Click Applicants, and view your candidates in the first tab also labeled Applicants:
Click on the checkbox next to the candidate you would like to run a background check on. Below, you can see a row of buttons - click on Order Background Check to start a background check on the selected candidate. The candidate will then receive an email from Checkr directing them to a Checkr-hosted website to provide the information Checkr needs to run a check. For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
The Alliance Payroll integration allows you to order background checks and view their status; however, the following features are available only from within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.