Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Breezy HR integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Breezy, please email email@example.com for additional assistance.
- Enable Checkr setup
- Create a Checkr account
- Connect Checkr and Breezy HR
- Account Hierarchy
- Order Background Checks
- International Packages
- Domestic Package with International Verifications
- Checkr Features
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The following items are required to initiate Breezy HR / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Breezy HR, with admin rights
- BreezyHR paid plan
Enable Checkr setup
Admins can enable the integration in their recruiting preferences.
- Click the gear icon ⚙️ in the left sidebar.
- Hover over Recruiting Preferences and click Integrations.
- Scroll to Background Screening.
- Locate Checkr and click Enable.
- Follow the prompts to sign into (or create) your Checkr account and connect it to Breezy.
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with BreezyHR.
To create an account for use with BreezyHR:
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to BreezyHR.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, fill out the needed fields, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your company information.
- Next, enter payment information - credit card or bank information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, not from BreezyHR. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Select Finish Sign Up which will submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both BreezyHR and you to begin ordering background checks through the BreezyHR platform.
The integration allows users to set up different "nodes" inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr requires you to assign packages to nodes once they are created, and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
Each time you order a background check, you will be asked which node to order the check from, and then select from a pre-populated list of packages available to that node. Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within 2 billing cycles after setup.
To order a background check with Account Hierarchy and nodes:
- Fill in the work location of the candidate as you normally would for any background check.
- Select which Hierarchy node you would like to order from.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run. If you do not see any packages populating, you will need to assign the appropriate packages to that node in your Checkr dashboard before proceeding.
Order Background Checks
Hiring Managers can request a background check from a candidate’s profile.
- Open the candidate’s profile.
- Click the More dropdown near the top-left corner of the screen.
- Click Background Checks to open the Background Checks tab.
- Click Send Background Check.
- Choose an option from the Node dropdown (these are set up in your Checkr account).
- Choose an option from the Background Checks dropdown.
- Select the work location country.
- Select the work location state, for US-based positions.
- Enter the work location city, for US-based positions.
- Click Send.
- You can check the status of the background screen, and find the results, in the Background Checks tab of the candidate’s profile.
Note: The candidate’s first and last name, email address, and work location are required to run a background check. Special characters in the name fields will prevent the background check from running (e.g., - , / *).
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Checkr defines international background checks as background checks run on candidate’s living and working outside of the United States.
Checkr currently offers the following international screenings for candidate’s with work locations outside the United States:
- International Criminal
- Adverse Media Search - may be enabled to automatically run if criminal not available
- Identity Document Verification
- Global Watchlist
- Education Verification
- Employment Verification
Domestic Package with International Verifications
If your candidate works in the United States but has out-of-country history, for example attended school internationally, request a package that includes an education verification with out-of-country history enabled. Checkr currently offers an out-of-country history setting that can be added to any domestic criminal search or verification.
The option can be applied for candidates who will perform their work inside the US, but who have an address history outside the US. Screening types that can be run on domestic screenings with out-of-country history include:
- Education Verification
- Employment Verification
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- New and existing user management
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr