The Account Settings page allows admins to manage their Checkr account and individual users to manage their account settings. Use this page to:
- Define email addresses for notifications
- Set notification preferences
- Add new users to the account
- Add and edit user permissions
- Review invoices
- Download your W-9
- Add and edit payment information
- View and configure SSO settings
- Add and manage API keys and account webhooks
- Review partner integration settings
Note: You may see different options than those described here depending on your Checkr user permissions. If you do not have access to an option you need, please contact your Checkr Customer Success representative for more information.
Use the Account Settings > Settings tab to edit account settings for your organization and select email notification preferences at the user level.
As part of the background check process, Checkr issues multiple email notifications to candidates. If your organization has not enabled Geos for the account, use the Account Settings section of the Settings tab to define these email addresses.
Note: Email addresses must link to your company and may link to a shared email account, allowing multiple people within your company to monitor and respond to these requests and replies.
Enter an address for the following fields:
- Support phone: Enter the phone number that will be provided to candidates to contact you to supply evidence of rehabilitation or other context during the Adverse Action process.
- Support email: Enter the address that will be provided to candidates to contact you to supply evidence of rehabilitation or other context during the Adverse Action process.
- Billing email: Enter the address that will be used by Checkr to contact you about invoices and other billing communications.
- Adverse action email: Enter the address to be used to send pre- and post- Adverse Action notices on your behalf to candidates. This address will receive the undeliverable notices produced if an Adverse Action notice isn't deliverable to a candidate (if their email account has expired, or if the email address on file is inaccurate).
- Technical Contact email: If your company uses the Checkr APIs for integration, enter your main point of contact for technical communications. Checkr will use this email address to contact you if there are any important issues or updates to the Checkr APIs.
- Compliance Contact email: Enter the main point of contact to communicate with Checkr about compliance issues or updates. Checkr will use this email address to inform you of updates to candidate disputes, or if changes have been made to background check Reports.
Adverse Action fallback
If your Adverse Action email address is invalid, Checkr will attempt to notify you using the following sequence of email addresses defined in the Account Settings section of the Settings tab.
- User email for the account that initiated the Adverse Action
- Adverse Action email
- Support email
- Billing email
- Technical Contact email
If no email address exists at the account level, the email notifying your company that the Adverse Action email is undeliverable will be sent to the listed email address for ALL users on the Checkr account with admin permission level or above.
Set candidate notification preferences
Use the SMS invitations setting to enable SMS invitations to your candidates. These text messages will be sent in addition to the emailed invitation.
Note: You must collect and retain consent from your candidates to receive SMS notifications from Checkr before enabling this option.
Use the Your Email Preferences section in the Settings tab to select the content and frequency of your automated email notifications. This section of the page is available to all users within your Checkr account.
Note: If your company has enabled Geos for the account, these settings will be ignored. Users must subscribe to individual Geos, after which they will receive all email notifications for that Geo.
The following notifications are available:
- All report updates: Receive an email for any changes to report status.
- Report created: Receive an email each time a new background Report is created.
- Report clear: Receive an email when a Report completes with a Clear status.
- Report consider: Receive an email when a Report completes with a Consider status, indicating that there is something on the Report for you to review.
- Report suspended: Receive an email when a Report is Suspended, meaning that Checkr contacted the candidate to provide additional information, but the candidate has not yet responded.
- Report disputed: Receive an email when a Report is Disputed, meaning a candidate has contacted Checkr to contest the accuracy of a Report. Checkr will initiate a re-investigation for these candidates. At least one user must be subscribed at all times to receive these notices.
- All report assessment updates: Receive an email for all changes to any report assessment.
- Report assessment Eligible: Receive an email when a report assessment changes to Eligible.
- Report assessment Review: Receive an email when a report assessment changes to Review.
- Report assessment Escalated: Receive an email when a report assessment changes to Escalated.
- Report assessments (daily digest): Receive a daily email itemizing all changes to report assessments.
- All candidate updates: Receive an an email when a candidate invitation is sent or expires.
- Candidate invitation expired: Receive an email when an invitation has expired because the Candidate did not complete the process within 7 days (or the customer-specified period).
- Candidate invitation sent: Receive an email every time an invitation is sent to a candidate.
- All Candidate Stories: Receive an email every time a Candidate Story is submitted.
- Candidate stories submitted pre/post AA: Receive an email if a candidate story is submitted before an Adverse Action is initiated, or after the Pre-Adverse Action notice has been sent.
Use the Users tab to view, edit, manage, or delete existing users, or to invite new users to your Checkr account.
Note: Best practices suggest that you maintain at least two admin accounts for your organization. If there is only one admin account, and if that person leaves your company unexpectedly, no one will be able to access the Checkr Dashboard and manage your account.
If there is no admin on the account, contact Checkr Customer Success to create an admin user account.
To add a user, enter their email address in the Enter email field and click Add User. Checkr will send an invitation to the user to confirm the new account creation and set up a password.
After the invitation is confirmed, add a user Role and Geo.
Note: Checkr cannot add users to your account. Please be certain to create more than one Admin user for the account to protect against unexpected changes within your company.
Click Edit in the Roles column to assign roles to your users, and grant them permissions within the Checkr Dashboard.
Individual users may have multiple Roles (such as adjudicator AND requester).
Available user roles
- Limited User: Can view the Candidates list. Cannot see candidate or report details. This role is automatically assigned to all new users on an Account.
- User: Can view Reports. Assign this role to staff who provide candidates with updates on their background check.
Requester: Can access, send, monitor, and cancel invitations to initiate background checks. This role can see the status of reports in the Candidates page, but cannot see the results of completed reports. This role can also see candidate documents and exceptions, but cannot see completed report details. Assign this role to recruiters who initiate background checks.
- Adjudicator: Can see candidate and report details. This role can adjudicate Reports, engage candidates, and send Pre-Adverse Action notices to candidates. Assign this role to adjudication staff.
- Restricted Admin: Available for Account Hierarchy enabled accounts only, this role has all permissions of Adjudicators and Requesters for candidates in their Account Hierarchy node. This role can invite users to the account, and assign non-Admin user roles. This role can also view invoices and change developer settings. This role cannot update billing or settings. Assign this role to administrators for sub-nodes on your account.
- Admin: Has full access to all functionality within the Checkr Dashboard. This role can update account settings (including billing information), assign all roles to any users in the account. Limit this role to core members of your team.
Note: For security purposes, Checkr cannot adjust user permissions. Please contact the admin on your team to edit or add user roles for an account. By default, the first user on an account will always be an admin.
Assign Geos to users
Use Geos to manage access to candidate information for your team by geographic location.
For example, if your primary hiring locations are New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, you may want to group both your candidates and your recruiters by location for the different positions. Create Geos which reflect these three cities, then assign them to both the users managing the hiring process and the Programs used to issue invitations to prospective candidates.
Click the menu icon at the far right of the user's name, and select Edit Geos to manage the Geos assigned to a specific user. Then choose the geolocations to which that user will be subscribed. Once subscribed to a specific geolocation, users will be able to access and manage candidates only in those Geos.
Click the menu icon at the far right of the user's name, and select Delete User to delete existing users from your account. Checkr will issue a confirmation and then delete the user from your account.
Unlock user accounts
Users with too many failed login attempts will be locked out of their account. Click Unlock User to send users a password reset email.
Use the Account Settings > Invoices tab to view or download Checkr-issued invoices for your organization, or download a copy of your account's W-9.
- Under Past Invoices, each row lists the date, amount, and status (pending or paid), and number of reports included in each invoice, and includes links to download a PDF of the listed invoice, or a CSV of the included reports.
- Under Documents, Checkr provides a link to download a PDF copy of your account's current W-9, for tax purposes.
Click the caret to the left of each listed invoice to expand or collapse the pane for more information.
Note: This access is available only to admins and is in addition to the email invoice issued to the address listed in Settings > Account Settings > Billing Email.
For more information on the charges listed and the timing of invoices, see Billing and Invoices: Frequently Asked Questions in the Checkr Help Center, or Additional Pricing Information on the Checkr corporate site.
Account Settings > Payment allows you to add or edit payment information, which may be either a bank account or credit card.
Add bank account information
To allow Checkr to process invoices through a linked banking account (Automated Clearing House account), enter the following information:
- Account Holder’s Name
- Routing Number
- Account Number
After your account information has been saved, you will receive a set of micro-deposits to your bank account within 2-4 business days. Enter both deposit amounts in the Payments tab of the Account Settings page to verify your bank account. If your bank account is not verified with these deposits, Checkr cannot process payment.
Add credit card information
To allow Checkr to process invoices through a linked credit card account, enter the following information:
- Credit Card Holder’s Name
- Card Number
Single Sign On
Use the Checkr Dashboard to view and update your SSO settings. Log into your account as a user with the Checkr admin role. Then, go to Account Settings > Single Sign On.
Copy your Checkr info into your IdP SAML config
Copy and paste the listed values into your IdP endpoint setup.
- Strategy: SAML
- Single Sign On URL: Copy into the ACS URL field in your IdP’s SAML config.
- Audience: Copy into the SP Entity ID field in your IdP’s SAML config.
- Attributes: `email` Configure your IdP to send the email address for a user as the SAML Subject. (If you are setting up SP-initiated SSO, you must make sure that all emails sent via this attribute match the domain specified on the Checkr Dashboard under Email Domain.)
- Subject:NameID: Your IdP’s UUID or GUID.
Copy your SAML info into your Checkr setup
Use the following section to enter the required information.
- Sign in URL: The IdP callback endpoint (IdP URL) from your IdP platform’s SAML configuration. (Required for both IdP-initiated and SP-initiated SSO.)
- Email domain: Enter your email domain. All traffic within Checkr for users with this email domain will be directed to your SSO endpoint. This setting disables Checkr direct login. (Required only for Service Provider initiated SSO.)
- Note: Enabling this forces SP-Initiated SSO. Make sure that you’ve tested IdP-initiated SSO and make sure you meet the criteria to enable SP-enabled SSO before enabling!
- Signing certificate: Click Choose File to upload a signing certificate from your SAML provider to your Checkr account. Your IdP will use this public certificate to sign the assertion. (Your IdP Public Key (IdP Certificate) from your IdP platform’s SAML configuration.)
The Developer Settings page provides access to your account’s API keys and Webhooks. API keys are used to enable API access to the Checkr service for customized interfaces. Webhooks provide account level Webhooks to which any Checkr-generated events will be posted.
API and Webhook logs are displayed in the Logs section of the Checkr Dashboard.
For more information on Webhooks, see the Checkr API Guide.
The API Keys pane lists all active API keys for the account:
- Click Show key to see the selected key in plain text.
- Click Expire key to set an expiration date for the selected key.
- Click Create new key to create new Live Secrets, Test Secrets, Live Publishable Tokens, or Test Publishable Tokens.
By default, Customers are provided test API keys when their account is created. You will not gain access to production keys until Checkr credentials your account for production API access. Once your account is credentialed, go to Account Settings > Developer Settings to create and manage your API keys.
Use Test Secrets and Tokens while testing your integration. Test API calls are free, and will return fake data. When you’re ready, work with Checkr Customer Success to generate production Secrets and Tokens, and go live with your integration.
Use account webhooks to receive updates on objects created with the API. You must create webhook endpoints and add them in the Checkr dashboard to get status updates. You may create two endpoints within the test, and two within the live environment.
Attempts to create more than two endpoints within either environment will result in a "Quota limit exceeded" error.
The Account Webhooks section lists existing and allows you to create new webhooks.
To add a new webhook for your account:
- Enter a URL.
- HTTP, HTTPS, and AWS SNS schemes are supported.
- HTTP can be added only for Test environment webhooks.
- HTTP and HTTPS endpoints must be publicly accessible.
- AWS SNS endpoint must follow the format:
- Select an environment: Live or Test.
- Select a jurisdiction: US or CA.
- Choose to Include related object in payload, if desired.
- Click Add to create the new webhook.
To acknowledge receipt of a webhook, your endpoint should return a 2xx HTTP status code. Any other information returned in the response headers or response body is ignored.
If a webhook is not successfully received for any reason, Checkr will continue trying to send it every minute for 10 minutes, then every hour for 24 hours.
Monitor webhook logs in the Logs page, under the Webhook Logs tab.
Note: These are account-level webhooks and are not meant to be used for existing partner or OAuth integrations. Please contact Checkr Customer Success to update webhook URLs for a Partner integration.
Once webhooks are created, subscribe to the updates you wish to receive.
Use the Integrations page to view and manage your Partner integrations.
Any Partner integrations you have enabled for your account will appear on this tab. Click Turn off to disable the integration for your Account. Reach out to your Checkr Customer Success Manager for more information.