Checkr's global watchlist search identifies whether a candidate name appears on domestic or international watchlists. This search includes government and regulatory databases that list individuals who are either prohibited from certain industries, such as healthcare and finance, or who are on “most wanted” criminal lists.
A global watchlist search also can identify suspected terrorists, money launderers, and drug traffickers from federal databases that are unrelated to court records. Conversely, the federal, state, and county searches rarely return results from the global watchlist search sources.
Global watchlist searches
During a global watchlist search, Checkr sends the candidate’s name to a vendor who searches several databases for the name. For the initial global watchlist search, Checkr doesn't require an exact match for the candidate’s name. Checkr does additional manual and automated work to ensure that records match the candidate provided name.
A global watchlist search uses government watchlists, including the lists below, as data sources:
- Denied Persons lists
- Department of State’s Sanctions lists
- FBI’s Most Wanted
- Interpol’s Most Wanted
- Office of Foreign Asset Control’s Sanctions
- US Department of the Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons
- US Drug Enforcement Administration’s Wanted Fugitive
The agencies who maintain the databases can vary in how often they update their databases.
The Basic+ report package includes the global watchlist search.
The candidate provides the personally identifying information (PII) below:
- Birth date
- Email address
- Full name
- Phone number
- Social Security number (SSN)
The candidate then reads and acknowledges receipt of applicable forms and authorizations:
- A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Disclosure Regarding Background Investigation
- Other state and required disclosures as applicable
- Authorization for a background check
After the candidate consents in writing, Checkr starts the search.
If you applied for a job and want to know your background check’s status, log in to the Checkr Candidate Portal.