This article will help you:
- Understand what an Education Verification is and why it’s an important part of a background report
- Decide when to include Education Verifications in your background check package
- Interpret Education Verification on a background check report
This article is intended for the following user roles: admin, adjudicator, user
Education Verification verifies a candidate's certifications or educational claims. They confirm where the candidate went to school, the type of degree obtained, the major, and sometimes the graduation date.
Education can be verified for colleges, universities, high schools, and GED equivalency exams. International education verification enabled (default) or disabled. These verifications will take longer and additional fees apply.
Candidates will be asked for their:
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- First and Last Name
- School Name
- School State/City
Education Verification Process
The process for Education Verification can take up to three steps:
- We reach out to our Education Databases to verify the highest level of education completed.
- If the Education Database does not return any information, we will reach out directly to the school’s registrar. We will make three attempts to contact the registrar.
- If the school does not respond after three requests, or if the registrar cannot confirm the highest level of education completed, the report will generate an Exception, and the candidate will be asked to upload proof of education. They have 7 days to upload the information before that section of the report moves to Suspended status.
Any user with an admin role may upload any requested documents directly to the candidate's report using the exception link.
Interpreting the Results
For candidates with multiple degrees earned, Checkr will display the different degrees on their report.
Once the search is complete, you'll also see a log of notes from the calls made.
If we still haven't received the information, or if the details are not a close match to what the applicant submitted, you'll see a "warning" icon (⚠) appear next to that information.