Welcome to Checkr!
Once you have successfully signed up and on-boarded with Checkr, the integration process can begin! This guide describes the requirements and steps necessary to get your Bullhorn instance up and running using Checkr.
If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Bullhorn, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance. If you have questions that are Checkr-related, please contact your Customer Success Manager or email us at email@example.com.
Getting started with Checkr on Bullhorn
- Enable Your Bullhorn Integration with Checkr
- Add Checkr tab to Candidate view layout
- Request background checks
- View results
- Checkr dashboard
Getting started with Checkr on Bullhorn
This guide describes how to integrate Checkr with Bullhorn, such that Bullhorn users can request and view Checkr background checks from within the Bullhorn interface.
The following items are required to initiate Bullhorn / Checkr integration:
- A REST-enabled Bullhorn instance. This can be confirmed by Bullhorn support.
- Your Bullhorn Corporate ID. This is typically a few-digit number like “12345”. (It is not the same as Client ID, which is a long string with numbers, dashes, and letters.)
- A Bullhorn username and password for Checkr to use for API integration. The minimum credentials needed for this account are to View/Edit Candidate Information.
- A Bullhorn account with admin rights so you can configure the Checkr integration for your users.
- Access to Checkr dashboard, with admin rights.
- An authentication token, which Checkr will provide to you after you have confirmed your Bullhorn instance is REST-enabled, and have provided Checkr with your Bullhorn Corporate ID and username/password information for the API account.
- Your desired integration workflow (Invitation vs Manual).
Please work with your Checkr Customer Success Manager to ensure your Bullhorn integration is activated by Checkr. Your Checkr Customer Success Manager will ask you for your Bullhorn Corporate ID as well as the username and password for a Bullhorn account that will be used by Checkr’s integration. They will also ask you to confirm that your Bullhorn instance is REST-enabled.
Within two business days of receiving this information, your Checkr CSM will provide you an authentication token, which you will use to enable the Checkr integration within Bullhorn.
Your Checkr Customer Success Manager will also ask you to choose between the Invitation Workflow or the Manual Workflow. These workflows are described below:
- Report Type: Criminal only Note: When packages requiring more than a Criminal Search are selected, Checkr will present the Invitation flow rather than the Manual flow.
- Description: Recruiter uses the fields provided by Checkr to enter candidate Personally Identifiable Information (PII) required to initiate the background check. The candidate is not contacted by Checkr for this information.
- Disclosures and Consent: Certified by recruiter with a checkbox when ordering the report.
- Background Check Begins: Immediately.
- Report Type: Any.
- Description: Checkr emails the candidate directly to collect required PII, distribute disclosures, and gather consent to run the background check.
- Disclosures and Consent: Gathered from candidate through the candidate’s invitation responses.
- Background Check Begins: After candidate successfully responds to invitation with requested information.
Within two business days of having received your preferred workflow (Invitation or Manual), Checkr will activate your integration with the desired behavior.
From within the client’s Bullhorn installation, select Admin > View Layout.
- Select Private Label: Checkr Inc
- Select Field Map Entity: Candidate
- Click Custom tabs > Add New, and enter:
- Name: Checkr
- Enabled: select
- URL: https://integrations.checkr.com/partners/bullhorn.html?token=<authentication_token_provided_by_Checkr>
As described above, this authentication token will be provided upon confirmation that your Bullhorn instance is REST-enabled, and receipt of your Bullhorn Corporate ID and username/password information for the API account.
- Partner Name: Checkr
- User Types: Select appropriate user types
- Click Save to save changes and create the Checkr tab.
Checkr allows you to request background checks from within Bullhorn for individual candidates. To initiate a background check, at minimum, a candidate’s first name, last name, and email must be populated in Bullhorn. To complete the background check, you will also be required to provide additional candidate information, including their Middle Name, Zipcode, Date of Birth, and Social Security Number. You will also be required to confirm that the candidate has consented to the background check, and has received and reviewed any necessary legal disclosures.
The following video provides a quick overview of the process:
Checkr provides two means to capture this required information:
- Invitation: In this workflow, Checkr will email the candidate a secure link to acknowledge disclosures and to provide consent, as well as any additional required information to run the background check. In the form sent to the candidate, the following fields will be pre-populated with any information that exists in Bullhorn: First Name, Last Name, Email, Middle Name, Zipcode, Date of Birth, and Social Security Number.
- Manual: In this workflow, you (the Bullhorn user) manually provide the information required to initiate a background check. This information includes the candidate’s Middle Name, Zipcode, Date of Birth, and Social Security Number. You must also confirm that the required forms and disclosures have been reviewed by the candidate, and that they have provided their consent for the background check to be run.
The manual entry workflow supports only criminal-based background checks, but reduces the turnaround time required for a report by eliminating the time required for the candidate to review and complete the invitation. If Manual workflow is enabled, but a report requiring more information than a criminal background check is selected, you will be notified that the Invitation flow will automatically be used for that report.
Note: The option used by your organization will be chosen by your administrator and configured by Checkr.
To initiate a background check for an applicant, select Menu > Candidates to open the Candidates list page.
Click the name of the candidate for whom a background check should be initiated to open their profile page, then click the Checkr tab.
Select the required Geo, Program, and Package to initiate the background check. Checkr will list the screenings included in the Package, and request confirmation to proceed.
If the Manual flow is enabled and a criminal background check is selected, fill in any additional required fields and click Order Report.
NOTE: While Middle Name is not a required field in Bullhorn, it is required for an accurate background check. Please click the “No Middle Name” checkbox only for candidates that do not have a middle name.
If Invitation flow is enabled or a report requiring more than a criminal background check is selected, click Send Invitation.
Once complete, Bullhorn will display the results of the Background check in the candidate’s Checkr tab.
Completed reports may be viewed both within Bullhorn, and from the Checkr dashboard. To view reports within Bullhorn, go to the candidate’s profile, and click the Checkr tab. Bullhorn will display a list of reports ordered for the candidate, and their status.
For more information on the status listed, please see What does the status of the report indicate? in the Checkr Help Center.
Click View Report to be redirected to a login page for the Checkr dashboard. Enter your Checkr login username and password to view the report’s details. Click Download PDF to download a PDF version of the report.