We're happy to partner with you to make your background check process more efficient, reduce your compliance risk, and improve your candidates' experience. As you get started with Checkr, you'll probably do a task below:
- Order a report.
- Manage candidate statuses.
- Review reports.
This quick start guide outlines the steps for using the Checkr Dashboard. Other articles in this section detail the steps below and link to more information in the Help Center.
Quick start guide
- Create your account
- Get verified
- Set up your account
- Order a background check
- Track candidates on the Checkr Dashboard
- Review completed reports
- Engage or decline candidates
1. Create your account
You can create an account with Checkr in two ways:
- Use Checkr's website to create an account yourself.
- Work with work Checkr to create an account for you.
2. Get verified
Before you can request background checks, Checkr must first verify your account. Checkr uses the information you provide to verify that your business is legitimate and has permissible purpose. The verification process usually takes up to two business days.
3. Set up your account
After verification, Checkr emails your account's admin a link to access the account. Your admin then sets up your account, including your user roles and permissions, and your candidate work locations.
4. Order background checks
Users with admin or requester roles (usually recruiters at your business) can order one or more background checks.
5. Track candidates and reports on the Checkr Dashboard
After you order the background check, the candidate takes the next steps below:
- The candidate enters their personally identifiable information (PII). Each search requires different PII.
- The candidate reads the disclosures and consents to have a background report.
After the candidate consents to the report, the report appears in the dashboard with a Pending status. The Candidates page shows report status changes. Select a report to read returned records or results.
You can receive email notifications when a report status changes. Use the Account page in the Checkr Dashboard to define your email preferences.
6. Review a background report
All user roles can review background reports.
After a report completes, select your candidate's name on the Candidates page of the dashboard to open the report. The report shows all searches for that report.
7. Engage or decline candidates
Based on the information in the report, use the report's Actions section to select one of the two options:
- Engage: You reviewed the report and intend to hire or place the candidate.
- Pre-adverse action: You reviewed report information with the Consider status and decided that you intend not to hire or place the candidate based on that information.
Selecting Engage changes the candidate's status in the dashboard and adds their data to the analytics charts.
Select "Pre-adverse action" to begin Checkr's pre-adverse action process, email your candidate notice of their status, and provide guidelines to help you remain compliant through the process.