Conducting background checks is complex. To help simplify the process for you and your candidates, Checkr gathers the candidates' personally identifiable information (PII) for your searches.
The background check process has the steps below:
- You order a background check.
- The candidate receives an email requesting that they authorize the check and provide their information.
- The candidate enters their PII and electronically signs a disclosure, consent, and authorization form. This information securely transfers to Checkr and allows the background check to proceed.
- Checkr processes the information and conducts your searches, which usually take around 3-5 business days to process. Checkr searches private and public databases for records that match the candidate information below:
- Address history
- Birth date
- Full name
This process often requires manually searching public records.
- When the report is complete, Checkr posts it to the Checkr Dashboard for your review. If the candidate requested a copy, Checkr sends them one.
- You review the report and determine the candidate's eligibility based on your requirements. You decide whether to engage the candidate or initiate an adverse action.
Learn from Checkr experts
Go to our learning hub, Checkr Academy, to access video tutorials of the background check process.