Form I-9 is an employment eligibility form that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) administers. An employee completes Form I-9 to verify their identity and their legal authorization to work in the United States (US).
Checkr partners with Tracker I-9 to help you order and track your Form I-9 documents. Because earlier versions of Form I-9 are now obsolete, Tracker offers the legally compliant 08/01/23 edition of Form I-9.
You can use the Checkr Dashboard to order Form I-9. You can order Form I-9 for candidates without a background check.
Play the Checkr Academy video below to learn how to order I-9 employment eligibility verifications in the Checkr Dashboard.
To add Form I-9 to your account, use the steps below:
- Log in to the Checkr Dashboard using an admin account.
- Select I-9.
- Read the Checkr Order Form and the Tracker Terms of Service.
- If you agree to these terms, select the checkbox and then select Continue.
- Enter your organization’s legal name.
- Enter your company's main hiring site. If you have other worksites, you can enter them later.
- Select Done.
Because Checkr partners with Tracker I-9 to process Form I-9, you also need a Tracker I-9 account. To set up a Tracker I-9 account, use the steps below:
- In the Checkr Dashboard, select I-9.
- Select the Settings.
- Select “Register my account.”
- Enter a user name and password for your Tracker account.
Order Form I-9
Form I-9 has three sections. The employee completes Section 1 remotely, and you choose how to complete Section 2 when you order the Form I-9. You use Section 3 only if you’re rehiring an employee.
To order Form I-9, use the steps below:
- In the Checkr Dashboard, select I-9.
- Select Order I-9.
- When you order Form I-9, Checkr emails the employee asking them to complete Form I-9 online. To choose how you verify the employees documents, select an option below:
- Remote Section 1 only: The employee brings their documents onsite to a company location. After reviewing the employee’s documents, you complete Section 2 in Tracker I-9.
- Employer-appointed representative: During the order process, you choose an authorized person to review the employee’s documents. After reviewing the employee’s documents, the authorized person completes Section 2 in Tracker I-9.
- Employee-appointed representative: The employee appoints a person to review their documents. The employee coordinates a time and place for document verification with their appointed representative. The employee-appointed representative completes Section 2 in Tracker I-9 and submits photos of the documents.
- Select employees to verify.
- Employees who have complete background checks: Search using candidate name or candidate ID.
- Employees without complete background checks: Select "Add employees."
- Review your order, and then select “Submit order.”
Checkr adds the charge for the Form I-9 to your invoice after the employee completes and signs Section 1. Checkr doesn’t charge for additional changes or verification you add to an employee’s Form I-9.
Learn from Checkr experts
Go to our learning hub, Checkr Academy, to access video tutorials about how to order and manage I-9 verifications in the Checkr Dashboard.
A worksite is a location from which your organization operates. Worksites must be physical addresses and not PO or APO boxes. Your account must have at least one worksite.
You add and edit worksites from the Worksites tab in the I-9 section of the Checkr Dashboard.
To add a worksite, use the steps below:
- Select “Add new.”
- Enter the information about your worksite, then select Add.
To edit a worksite, use the steps below:
- Select the Actions menu for the worksite you want to edit.
- Select Edit to change information about the worksite.
From the Actions menu, you can also delete the worksite or make it your default worksite.
I-9 Dashboard page tabs
Status lists your Form I-9 orders and their current status. You can filter the list by the criteria below:
- Order progress
- Open tasks
From Settings, you can do the tasks below:
- Check your E-Verify status.
- Add to, edit, and access your worksite list.
- Access your registered Tracker I-9 users.
If USCIS audits your Form I-9 documents, contact Checkr. Checkr contacts Tracker’s Audit Support team on your behalf. Tracker I-9’s Audit Support team provides guidance during an audit and helps gather documents by the audit deadline. Only Form I-9 documents that you ordered from Checkr or Tracker I-9 are eligible for audit assistance. Consult your legal counsel about forms you collected without using Checkr or Tracker I-9.
Tracker I-9 help
For help with Tracker I-9, consult their manual.