Welcome to checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr | VidCruiter integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to VidCruiter, submit a request.
- Enable Checkr Setup
- Create A Checkr Account
- Setting up your Checkr Account
- Order Background Checks
- Step 1 – Name the Position
- Step 2 – Team Members
- Step 3 – Applicant Steps
- Step 4 – Recruiter Tasks
- Step 5 – Settings
- Invite Applicant to Complete Background Check
- Review A Background Check
- Checkr Features
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
This guide describes how to integrate Checkr with VidCruiter such that users can request and view Checkr background checks from within the VidCruiter interface.
- Access to Checkr, with admin rights
- Access to VidCruiter, with admin rights
Enable Checkr Setup
- Click on (1) Admin, then (2) Integrations, (3) Checkr, and then (4) Connect to Checkr
Clicking Start Background Check will open a window asking you to Sign Up or Sign In.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to VidCruiter.
If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information
Note: There is one feature that needs to be enabled by Checkr support so that you see background check status in VidCruiter, reach out to Checkr Support and let them know you have connected your account to VidCruiter and need Account Level Webhooks enabled.
Create A Checkr Account
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr.
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
- Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the VidCruiter.
- Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
If you have any questions while completing the sign-up form or after you have submitted, please reach out to Checkr support.
Checkr Welcome Email
Setting up your Checkr Account
You will manage all your users, notifications, and packages from the Checkr Dashboard. Here are some helpful links to set-up and customize your Checkr account.
- Adding Users and User Roles
- Report Status and Adjudication
- Package and Screening Details
To add, remove or customize your Checkr packages please submit a ticket here and Checkr support will help ensure you have exactly the packages you need. The following are the three default packages your account will be automatically set-up with. Prices below do not include court fees or other pass-through fees that can occur, a full list of additional fees by state and county can be found here.
Order Background Checks
- In VidCruiter, click on Positions and then on Add
Step 1 – Name the Position
This step is the initial position level settings page. Here, you can name the position, add a job reference number, request it to show in job boards, whether you would like to use an interview product or a template. For the purpose of this guide, you will only need a position name. The rest can be updated later.
In the overview step, you can also choose which division you would like this position to be in. This will allow you to choose which users have access to this position depending on the division they are assigned to.
- Name the position, choose the appropriate settings. You can also choose to use a position template on this options page.
- Click Step 2 – Team Members
Step 2 – Team Members
Choose which users will be added to this position. You can choose any user who is assigned to the same division you assigned the position. Admin and Super Admin will always be available no matter the division.
- Add all team members for this position. You can always update this later.
- Click Step 3 – Applicant Step
Step 3 – Applicant Steps
Set up the application forms that all applicants will fill out. This is highly customizable. You can add, remove, edit any type of field. You can also choose to create Applicant Steps using a template that you have saved in the past.
- Click on Create new Applicant Step
- Name the Applicant Step
- Choose the appropriate settings for this step and click Save these Applicant Step Settings
- Add all the Question Pages required for this step.
- Once you have entered all Question pages for this Applicant step, scroll to the bottom of the page and click I’m done editing this applicant step, add or edit another
- To add a Checkr Background check to your workflow, you will need to create a new Applicant Step for the background check. Click on Create a new Applicant Step
- Name the Applicant step Background Check (this is customizable) and click Save
- On the Settings tab, scroll to the bottom and click Checkr. You will then have the option to choose from a list of all background checks available in your Checkr Account.
- Click Save these applicant step settings.
- Add any documentation or disclaimers you would like the applicant to read through as a question page and click I’m done editing this applicant step, add or edit another.
- Once you have completed all Applicant Steps, click on Step 4 – Recruiter tasks.
Step 4 – Recruiter Tasks
Configure recruiter tasks, automating the recruiting process with options such as when emails will be sent, when applicants are moved to a different step, etc. When done, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Step 5 – Settings.
Step 5 – Settings
While settings are customizable, for this integration no additional configurations are required.
- Click Step 6 – Position Status.
- Once you are done with the setup of your position, and you are comfortable with it going live, click Make this position live.
- Your position is now live and you can start requesting applicants to complete a background check.
Invite Applicant toComplete Background Check
Now that the Checkr integration has been added to your VidCruiter position, we will go through the steps of inviting an applicant to complete the Checkr Background Check.
- Click on the list of applicants for the VidCruiter Position you created in previous steps.
- Click on the name of the applicant that is ready to move on to the Background Check
- Once on their profile, click on Change Status.
- Choose the Background Check step in the “What Status?” selector and click Change Status.
Once you have ordered the background check in VidCruiter, Checkr will manage all communication with the candidate. They will receive an email to start the process and provide their information. Checkr manages all data collection, disclosure and acknowledgement forms and candidate communication. If your candidate has any questions they can contact Checkr’s Candidate support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate Invitation Email:
Candidate Background Check Forms:
Reviewing a background check
You will be able to check the status of the applicant’s background check from their profile in VidCruiter.
- Within the applicant’s profile, click on the Integrations tab.
Complete Reports, you will be able to click-into the full report in Checkr and decide how to move forward. All Adjudication and Adverse Action is managed in the Checkr Dashboard. Checkr will manage the sending of all Adverse Action communication.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the VidCruiter integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr