Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr | TalentEi integration process and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
- Before starting
- Account Hierarchy
- Order Background Checks
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
- International Packages
- Domestic Package with International Verifications
- Review A Background Check
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
The following items are required to initiate TalentEi / Checkr integration.
- Contact TalentEi to connect to Checkr.
- An invitation message is generated to Sign In or Sign Up for Checkr.
- To create an account for use with TalentEi:
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to TalentEi.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, fill out the needed fields, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your company information.
- Next, enter payment information - credit card or bank information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, not from TalentEi. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Select Finish Sign Up to submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both TalentEi and you to begin ordering background checks through the TalentEi platform.
- Once the invitation process is started in TalentEi’s customer management application, the connection status of the customer/workplace is shown as Pending, until the access token is detected in the TalentEi configuration database, at which point the status will be displayed as Connected.
- The customer management application is also used to manage the preconfigured selection of background check Package per customer/workplace as appropriate, as well as the correlation of a workplace to a specific node when a customer’s account has account hierarchy enabled.
Note to customers: As described above, the majority of the connection process between TalentEi and Checkr is facilitated by TalentEi admins. As a customer, please get in touch with TalentEi to kick off this process. A customer’s primary role is to complete the sign-in / sign-up process via the email invitation you receive from TalentEi. TalentEi takes care of the rest!
The TalentEi integration allows users to set up different nodes inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the TalentEi background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr requires you to assign packages to nodes once they are created and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
Each time you order a background check within TalentEi, Talent EI will have pre-populated which node to order the check from, as well as the package that was available within that node. Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within 2 billing cycles after setup.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run. If you do not see any packages populating, you will need to assign the appropriate packages to that node in your Checkr dashboard before proceeding.
Order Background Checks
Please consult the TalentEi team on default and recommended settings for your specific ordering process.
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
Checkr defines international background checks as background checks run on candidates living and working outside of the United States. If your candidate works in the United States but has out-of-country history, for example, or attended school internationally, a customer should request a package that includes an education verification with out-of-country history enabled.
Checkr currently offers the following international screenings for candidates with work locations outside the United States:
- International Criminal
- Adverse Media Search - may be enabled to automatically run if criminal is not available
- Identity Document Verification
- Global Watchlist
- Education Verification
- Employment Verification
Domestic Package with International Verifications
If your candidate works in the United States but has out-of-country history, Checkr currently offers an out-of-country history setting that can be added to any domestic criminal search or verification. The option can be applied for candidates who will perform their work inside the US, but who have an address history outside the US. Screening types that can be run on domestic screenings with out-of-country history include:
- Education Verification
- Employment Verification
Review A Background Check
- To monitor the background check process, login as an employer division admin and select Offer Manager on the left sidebar.
- Then sort, filter or search for the candidate you would like to monitor.
- The Due Diligence Status column has the candidate’s background check status.
- Select report to view the results.
- Once TalentEi receives notification that the invitation has been created, the candidate is put into an In Progress status that is visible to the employer user on the Offer Manager Page where they review and manage active offers.
- From there, the status will update depending on what TalentEi receives from Checkr.
Viewing the candidate’s assessment: Talent Ei uses five statuses to define the candidate’s progress:
- In progress: The background check came back in one of the following statuses: Invitation Created, Invitation Completed, report resumed, report disputed
- Done - Pass: means the background check came back in one of the following statuses: Complete -Canceled = False - Clear, Complete - Canceled = true - Clear, Complete - engaged
- Requires Review: means the background check came back in one of the following statuses: Complete - Consider, Complete - Consider - Pre Adverse Action
- Done - Fail: means after review, the background check came back in one of the following statuses: Complete - Consider - Post Adverse Action, Suspended
- Incomplete - Fail: means the background check came back Complete - canceled = true - nu result, Invitation Expired or Invitation Deleted The employer user can view the full report in Checkr by selecting the report link next to the status - you must have the correct Checkr User permissions to access.
For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the TalentEi integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings