Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Able integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Able, please fill out a support request for additional assistance. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Able, please email@example.com.
- Enable Checkr Setup
- Create a Checkr Account
- Order Background Checks
- Review A Background Check
- Checkr Features
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
This guide describes how to integrate Checkr with Able such that users can request and view Checkr background checks from within the Able interface.
The following items are required to initiate the Able / Checkr integration:
- Access to Checkr, with admin rights
- Access to Able, with admin rights
- An authentication link (provided by Able Customer Service to configure the Checkr integration for your users)
Enable Checkr Setup
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before utilizing the integration with Able.
Create a Checkr Account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Lever.
To create an account for use with Able:
- Click to Sign Up
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Able. (Payment information may be edited within the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created)
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
- Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review.
Able will provide you with an authentication link to enable the sync between the two systems. Note: Integration will not be activated until Able customer is implemented and live.
- Click on Sign in with Checkr.
- You will be prompted to enter in your Checkr credentials.
- Once your credentials are validated, you will be asked to confirm you’re ready to enable the connection.
- Click Click here to connect.
You’ll see a success message when the integration is enabled. You may now close the window and begin ordering background check screenings for your candidates directly from Able.
Order Background Checks
After your Able and Checkr accounts are connected, you can order a new background check for a candidate from the Applicants section in the left-hand menu bar.
In the window that opens, select the applicant name, and click + New Onboarding Request.
This will take you to the Order Workflow page. From here, you may select the Checkr Screening Package to order for the candidate from the drop-down menu.
*Note: Only one background check package may be ordered at a time for a candidate.
When you have made your selections, click on Send Workflow. Based on the preferred method of contact, the candidate will either receive an email or text notification to log into Able and complete their onboarding steps.
While you’re waiting for the candidate to complete their steps, the status of the background screening will be Ordered and is visible in Applicants under Background Screening.
Sample Ordered Background Screening
The candidate will receive an email from Checkr to provide the required personally identifiable information based on the screenings in the selected package, review their disclosures, and authorize consent for the background check.
Sample background check disclosure page
Sample Acknowledgement and Authorization page
Once consent is submitted by the candidate, the background check order will be initiated in Checkr.
*Note: A background check cannot be canceled or changed once a candidate has authorized their consent.
The result of the screening will reflect the status of the Checkr background check. All background checks begin with the result Pending.
Review A Background Check
Report results are returned to Able in the form of Result statuses. These statuses appear in Able as soon as they are available in the Checkr Dashboard.
Packages/Services will display the individual screenings ordered within a background check package and their statuses. Hover over each screening to display the status name, such as green for clear, gray for pending, and red for consider.
Depending on your permissions, when the report is complete, you may view a PDF of the full report by clicking on View. Click on Take Action to review the report in Checkr.
Sample Completed Report - Questionable Result
The “date in” corresponds to when Able receives the screening results, the “date out” corresponds to the date those results are shared.
Sample Completed Report - Clear Result
For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.
Most criminal background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Learn more about how long most background checks take.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the Able integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr. In order to access Checkr from the Able UI, the user selects “Take Action” from the Screening Results screen.
- Background check invitation links
- Cancel an invitation (before the candidate has given consent)
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Health Screenings management
- Change a health screening location
- Extend a screening pass expiration
- Download a screening pass
- Resend a screening pass to a candidate
- Checkr settings
- Candidate Stories
- Candidate Stories allow candidates with records the opportunity to share additional context about themselves and their background checks directly through the Candidate Portal.
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.
If you have questions that are Checkr-related, please contact your Customer Success Manager or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Able, please email@example.com for additional assistance.