Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Ceipal integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Ceipal, please fill out a support request for additional assistance.
- Add Checkr to Ceipal
- Enable Checkr setup
- Create a Checkr account
- Account Hierarchy
- Order Background Checks
- Monitoring Background Checks
- Checkr Features
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Ceipal, such that Ceipal users can initiate and view Checkr background checks from within the Ceipal interface.
The following items are required to initiate Ceipal / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Ceipal, with admin rights
- Access to Checkr, with admin rights
Add Checkr to Ceipal
First, enable Checkr from within Ceipal. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Ceipal to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate the Checkr integration, go to your Ceipal home page.
- From the Ceipal home page, click on the user icon on the top right-hand corner.
- Within the menu dropdown, click “View Profile”.
- Within the user profile, select “User Preferences”.
- Within user preferences, scroll down to the “Checkr BGV” option.
- While viewing “Checkr BGV”, you can select the blue arrow icon to authorize and enable your connection with Checkr.
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Ceipal.
To create an account for use with Ceipal:
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to Ceipal.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, fill out the needed fields, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your company information.
- Next, enter payment information - credit card or bank information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, not from Ceipal. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Select Finish Sign Up which will submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Ceipal and you to begin ordering background checks through the Ceipal platform.
The integration allows users to set up different "nodes" inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr requires you to assign packages to nodes once they are created, and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
Each time you order a background check, you will be asked which node to order the check from, and then select from a pre-populated list of packages available to that node. Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within 2 billing cycles after setup.
To order a background check with Account Hierarchy and nodes:
- Fill in the work location of the candidate as you normally would for any background check.
- Select which Hierarchy node you would like to order from.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run. If you do not see any packages populating, you will need to assign the appropriate packages to that node in your Checkr dashboard before proceeding.
Order Background Checks
- From the top menu bar within the Ceipal application, navigate to the Applicants tab.
- The Applicants tab shows all of the applicants and the jobs they have applied for.
- By clicking into an applicant and then section Submission Record, you will be brought to the applicant’s job submission.
- On the submission page, the top menu bar will have an array of options. By Selecting the icon highlighted in the image below, you will be able to select Initiate Background Check.
- Once selected, you will next select “Initiate Checkr Background Check” from the dropdown.
- A window will light-frame titled “Checkr Background Screening”
- Within the window, please fill out the applicable candidate information.
- Once the information is complete, you will select “Initiate” to initiate the background check order for the candidate.
- If initiated successfully, you will see a window popup with the message “Candidate initiated for background verification through Checkr Background Screening”.
Monitoring Background Checks
- To review and monitor an applicant’s background check status, you can either navigate to the Applicants Tab or the Job Posting Tab and click on both the applicant and their specific job submission.
- Within an applicant’s submission overview, you can select “Background Checks” from the top menu bar.
- Here the applicant will have a “Background Check Results” section which will reflect the Background Check Requested, Processing Status, Result, Last Updated, ETA as well as a link to the Checkr dashboard to review the report within Checkr.
- Please note, “Background Check Results” can show multiple background checks requested for the applicant.
- Underneath “Background Check Results”, the user will see an “Activities” section, which details the recent activity log for the requested BGC.
For monitoring purposes, Ceipal also offers a Background check status consolidated report where the user can see the status of all the orders in a single place and can open the report of the respective order from the screen below.
Once Complete, click on it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- New and existing user management
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr