Help me understand Checkr packagesRead More
This article contains the following FAQs:
- What is the difference between a screening and a package?
- What standard screening packages are available?
- Can I create, add screenings to, and/or customize a package?
- Which package is right for me?
- How can I determine which checks are in my package(s)?
- Where can I learn about pricing?
What is the difference between a screening and a package?
A package is a defined set of screenings that will be run after a candidate authorizes their background check. For example, the Essential Criminal Package contains the five screenings in the table below.
ESSENTIAL CRIMINAL PACKAGE
National Criminal Database Check
What standard screening packages are available?
Packages: Checkr offers pre-built packages with common combinations of Checkr's most frequently requested screenings. For a full list of Checkr’s default packages, refer to Available packages and add-ons.
Standalone screenings: The following screenings may be ordered as standalone screenings:
- Employment Verification: Confirm a candidate's current and/or previous employer(s).
- Education Verification: Confirm a candidate's educational history.
- Motor Vehicle Record (MVRs): Complete a standard MVR screening.
For pricing information, visit Checkr’s Pricing page or contact Checkr. Note that in addition to the cost of the background check, reports might incur third-party access fees.
Can I create, add screenings to, and/or customize a package?
Yes, users with the correct permissions may both create and customize existing packages to fit the needs of your organization. To learn more about which screenings can be added to an existing package, refer to Available packages and add-ons. For instructions on how to create and customize packages, refer to Manage packages.
If you need to make changes to your organization's packages and do not have access to the Packages page of the Checkr Dashboard, work with your account admin. If you encounter any issues, don't hesitate to contact Checkr.
Some customization options might be unavailable through partner integrations, and some screenings might take additional setup time.
Which package is right for me?
Each organization has unique needs, so it’s important to ensure the package includes comprehensive screenings suitable for the role. For example, if you’re hiring a delivery driver, you may want to include a Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) screening in the package.
This does not constitute and is not intended to be construed as legal advice. Please consult your legal counsel regarding your compliance obligations and best practices.
How can I determine which checks are in my package(s)?
You can view your selected packages within the Packages page of the Checkr Dashboard. You will also be able to see which checks are included in a package(s) while preparing to place an order.
Where can I learn about pricing?
For information about package prices, visit Checkr Package Pricing.
Available packages and add-onsRead More
Checkr offers the packages below:
- Basic+ package
- County search (7-year)
- Essential package
- Education verification
- Employment verification
- International Basic+
- International search (or adverse media search)
- Global watchlist search
- International Professional
- International Basic+ package
- Education verification
- Employment verification
- International Professional+
- International Professional package
- Identity document validation
As of June 1, 2022, Checkr no longer offers standard and premium packages. If you bought these packages, your account will continue to show them.
If you need a different package, you can create a custom one.
Admin and restricted admin roles can add searches to a package.
- County civil search (7-year): Search county courts for civil records. This search returns county-level lawsuits that name the candidate as a plaintiff or as a defendant.
- Federal civil search: Search the federal record database for civil records in federal district courts. This search returns federal lawsuits that name the candidate as a plaintiff or as a defendant.
Clinic-based drug tests
- Drug tests: Add your account's existing clinic-based drug tests. To add drug tests to your account, contact Checkr.
- Credit checks: Add your account's existing search for publicly available financial information, such as the types below:
- Accounts in collections
- Amounts owed
- Credit and payment history
- Tax liens
- County search (7-year): Search for records in relevant county courts as indicated by pointer searches, such as an SSN trace or national criminal search.
- State search (7-year): Search for records in relevant state criminal records databases as indicated by pointer searches, such as an SSN trace or national criminal search.
- Federal search: Search the federal record database for criminal records in federal district courts.
- Fraud Abuse Control Information System (FACIS) Level 1: Search databases for records of adverse actions against individuals and entities in the healthcare field. This search meets minimum federal requirements.
- FACIS Level 3: Search databases for records of adverse actions against individuals and entities in the healthcare field. This search exceeds minimum federal requirements.
Motor vehicle records
- Motor vehicle record (MVR) report: Search driving history from a given state’s Department of Motor Vehicles or similar government entity. This search includes driving-related records that a criminal search might not show.
- Education verification: Confirm the candidate’s provided education or certification history.
- Employment verification: Confirm the candidate's provided work history.
- Personal reference verification: A researcher asks 1 person the candidate chooses a series of questions about the candidate's relationship and character.
- Professional reference verification: A researcher asks 1 person the candidate chooses a series of questions about the candidate's relationship and work ability.
- Professional license verification: Verify that the candidate has an existing professional license that’s active and in good standing.
These searches apply to candidates who live outside the United States (US):
- International search: Search for criminal records outside the US. If no records are found, an adverse media search happens. Additional charges might apply.
- International education verification: Confirm the candidate’s provided education or certification history outside of the United States.
- International employment verification: Confirm the candidate’s provided work history outside of the United States.
- International identity document validation: Confirm the authenticity and validity of a candidate’s passport, national ID, or driver's license and cross-checks against government databases.
- International global watchlist: This search identifies whether a candidate is on domestic or international watchlists. This search includes several international, government, and regulatory databases that identify individuals who are either prohibited from certain industries, such as healthcare and finance, or are on criminal lists.
These searches apply to candidates who currently live in the US but used to live outside the US:
- Out-of-country history search: Search for criminal records outside the US. If no records are found, an adverse media search happens. Additional charges might apply.
- Out-of-country history education verification: Confirm the candidate’s provided education or certification history outside the United States.
- Out-of-country history employment verification: Confirm the candidate’s provided work history outside of the United States.
Manage packagesRead More
Only users with the correct permissions can access the Packages page in the Checkr Dashboard. If you need access to this page, work with your admin.
Create a custom package
To create a custom package of searches, use the steps below:
- Click the Create new package button.
- Select the candidate's work location.
- Select the package you want. The total appears with fees at the right.
- Review available add-ons, and click Add to select ones for your package. Below the package summary, you can name the package and save it for later.
Add searches to a package
Checkr offers searches that you can add to existing packages. Some customization options might be unavailable through partner integrations, and some searches might take additional setup time.
To add searches to an existing package, use the steps below:
- Select the pencil icon on the package you want to edit.
- Select Add on the search you want to add. If you want to save this package for later use, name it.
- Select Save.
You can also add searches using the Order background check button on the Checkr Dashboard:
- At the left of the Checkr Dashboard, select Order background check.
- Select the candidate's work location (optional) and package (required).
- Click Select add-ons.
- Select the search type to show specific searches.
- Review pricing, and then select a specific search with the Add button.
- Select Continue.
- Select the checkbox to confirm your permissible purpose for a background check.
- Enter up to 25 email addresses to receive the invitation.
- Select Send Invitations. The listed candidates will receive an email with the invitation link.
Assign nodes to a package
If your account has nodes, you can assign them to packages. Child nodes inherit packages from their parents in addition to packages you add directly to them.
To assign new nodes to or remove nodes from a selected package, use the steps below:
- Select a package, and then select Assign nodes.
- Use the Search Node List field to search for nodes in your hierarchy. You can search by name or by custom ID. To show only nodes currently assigned to the package, select the Show only selected nodes checkbox.
- Select the nodes you want to assign to or remove from the package.
- Select Yes to confirm and save your changes.
Delete a package
If you no longer need a package, you can delete it using the steps below:
- Select the Actions column of the package you want to delete.
- Select Delete, and then confirm that you want to delete the package.