This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Lever, such that Lever users can initiate Checkr background checks from within the Lever interface.
Step 1: Disable Your GoodHire Integration
In order to disable your GoodHire integration, first log in to your Lever account, then click, “Settings” then click “Integrations and API.” You can then toggle off the GoodHire integration by clicking the green button next to GoodHire.
Step 2: Obtain Your Checkr API Key
Prior to integrating your Checkr and Lever accounts, you’ll need to obtain your Checkr API Key from within the Checkr dashboard. Please ensure that you are on your 'Live' Checkr instance (not 'Test’) when you complete this step:
- Log in to Checkr Dashboard
- Navigate to “Account settings”
- Select the “Developer Settings” tab
4. Select the copy icon to copy the API key.
Step 3: Activate the integration in Lever
Once you’ve copied your Checkr API key, log into your Lever account and perform the following actions:
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations and API, scroll to the 'Background and reference checks' section, and click the Checkr toggle
- Click the Send Request to Enable button
- A Lever Support representative will be notified of your request and will reach out to you via email to ask you to provide the following information:
- The API key from your 'Live' Checkr instance (retrieved in Step 1)
- The name of the default Checkr package that you wish to be applied to candidates that are sent from Lever to Checkr
- The name of the pipeline stage in Lever that you wish to trigger a background check
- Authorization to configure the appropriate API key and webhook settings in your LeverTRM environment; note that modifying or disabling the API key and webhook settings after a Lever Support agent has configured them could cause the integration to stop working
- The Lever Support representative will send you a confirmation message when the Checkr integration has been successfully enabled in your LeverTRM environment with the information you provided; the Checkr toggle on the ‘Integrations and API’ page of your Settings will also turn green to indicate that the integration is active
Sending candidates from Lever to Checkr
Once the integration is enabled, and when an opportunity reaches the trigger stage in your pipeline, a Checkr background check will be initiated for the candidate. Note that upon reaching the trigger stage, Lever only sends the name and email address of the candidate to Checkr. Once a candidate has been sent to Checkr, their pending invite link will appear on the homepage of your Checkr dashboard.
Background check operations
When their opportunity reaches the trigger stage, the candidate will receive an email via Checkr inviting them to initiate the background check. Once the invitation has been sent, an 'Invitation Pending' tag will be added to the opportunity on the candidate's profile in Lever. Once the candidate has completed the background check, the tag will change to read 'Invitation Completed.'
If no records were found in the background check, the tag will change to read 'Report Clear' and a gated link to the results will be added to the Links section on the candidate's profile in Lever. The link will only be accessible to authenticated Checkr users. If records were found (e.g. criminal records, traffic violations, sex offender status), the tag will change to read 'Report Consider.'