If your Checkr account has a partner integration, this feature might be unavailable. To determine whether your account supports this feature, contact Checkr.
When determining hiring eligibility for specialized or regulated roles, you need to check a candidate’s professional license. Professional license verification (PLV) verifies whether a candidate’s professional license is active and in good standing.
Checkr verifies publicly accessible license records including, but not limited to, the professions below:
- Coast Guard
- IT (Technology)
- Mental health
- Real estate
- Veterinary medicine
PLV verifies data a candidate provides. PLV doesn't verify the candidate’s identity.
Professional license records
During a PLV, Checkr verifies the license attributes below:
- Is active or expired
- Is in good standing
- Includes the candidate’s name
Because Checkr automates most of the PLV process, PLVs typically complete within 5 minutes. Usually because of a candidate’s data-entry error, automated PLV might not complete. In these situations, Checkr manually verifies information with licensing authorities. Manual verifications usually take 1-2 business days.
PLV includes the steps below:
- The candidate provides a copy of their professional license, which the issuing body verifies. For example, the Florida Bar verifies licenses to practice law in the state of Florida.
- Checkr tries to verify the information, with a report status below:
- Clear: The dashboard shows the candidate's verified documents and certification details.
- Consider: The dashboard shows a reason below to explain the Consider status:
- Candidate-provided information doesn't match government records.
- Checkr can't find the license.
- The license expired.
- The license isn't in good standing or has derogatory marks.
You can add PLV to a background check search package from the Checkr Dashboard.
The candidate provides the information below:
- Certifying organization
- License type
- License number
- Expiration date (optional)
- License document
The candidate can upload up to 2 licenses for verification.
The candidate then reads and acknowledges receipt of applicable forms and authorizations:
- A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Disclosure Regarding Background Investigation
- Other state and required disclosures as applicable
- Authorization for a background check
After the candidate consents in writing, Checkr starts the verification.