What is Canada Identity Verification?
Canada Identity Verification is a digital online candidate verification service that works to verify a candidate’s identification documents and likeness during the background check process. Identity verification is required for all Canadian basic criminal checks.
At the end of each background check application, candidates working in Canada will be guided through this verification process via our third-party provider, Yoti. Yoti is a trusted vendor approved by Canada that securely verifies identification documents and likenesses of individuals. This Yoti process is also available in the French language.
Acceptable pieces of identification for Canada Identity Verification
Digital identity verification
The ID verification process using Yoti requires the candidate to present one piece of ID. This must be one of the following:
- Driver’s License
- National ID (Any government-issued card with the Candidate's name, date of birth, signature, and photo.)
Manual identity verification
For manual identity verification, a candidate must provide two (2) valid pieces of identification: A primary card and a secondary card.
PRIMARY pieces of ID
Any government-issued card that includes the Candidate's name, date of birth, signature, and photo.
- Driver’s License (issued by Canadian province or territory)
- Foreign Driver’s License
- Canadian Passport
- Foreign Passport
- BC Driver’s Licence and Services Card
- Photo BC Services Card
- Permanent Resident (PR) Card
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card
- Canadian National Institute of The Blind (CNIB) Identification Card
- Federal, Provincial or Municipal Identification Card
- Military Family Card
- Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or Possession/Acquisition License (PAL)
- Provincial or Territorial Health Cards (1)
SECONDARY pieces of ID
A second “PRIMARY” piece of ID OR a piece of identification from the list below. (Candidate’s name on the secondary piece of ID must match that on the primary ID.)
- Government Employment Card
- International Student Card
- Age of Majority Card
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Certificate
- Non-Photo BC Services Card
- Hunting License
- Fishing License
- Boating License
- LCBO/Age of Majority Card
- Outdoors Card
- Hospital Card
- Canadian Blood Donor Card
- Immigration Papers
- Student ID
- City/Municipal Library Card
- Utility bill (water, electricity, taxes, or Lease agreement showing both name and address will be accepted. To be used only in cases where the Candidate does not have a Secondary piece of ID).
Will NOT be accepted:
- Non-Government Employment Card
- Social Insurance Number (SIN) card
- Credit/Debit Card
- Gym member Card
- Costco Card
- Air Miles Card
(1) Provincial or Territorial Health Card as Primary ID or Secondary ID: as permitted to be used for identification purposes under provincial law. Government-issued Health card that includes the Candidate's name, date of birth, signature and photo will be accepted if the Candidate volunteers to submit his/her Health Card as a piece of identity and the photocopy of the Health Card number is blacked out before submitting for a criminal background check.