Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / HiPeople integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to HiPeople, please fill out a support request for additional assistance.
- Add Checkr to HiPeople
- Enable Checkr setup
- Create a Checkr account
- Order Background Checks
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
The following items are required to initiate HiPeople/ Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to HiPeople, with admin rights
Add Checkr to HiPeople
First, enable Checkr from within HiPeople. You must have admin access to both Checkr and HiPeople to complete this process.
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created for the integration with HiPeople. Please see the steps below.
If your company does have a Checkr account, you can follow the steps below and Sign In instead of Signing Up.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate integration, log into your HiPeople account. Click the top logo in the sidebar to open the dropdown menu, and navigate your organization settings.
Click the “Connect Checkr Account” button in the settings page.
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with HiPeople.
To create an account for use with HiPeople:
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to HiPeople.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, fill out the needed fields, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your company information.
- Next, enter payment information - credit card or bank information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, not from HiPeople. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Select Finish Sign Up which will submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both HiPeople and you to begin ordering background checks through the HiPeople platform.
- You will be redirected back to HiPeople. In your organization settings in HiPeople, you will see a pending Checkr approval message until your account is credentialed.
- Once the account is approved, you will be able to start using Checkr with HiPeople.
Order Background Checks
Once your HiPeople and Checkr accounts are connected, you will be able to request a background check. Step by step can be found below.
Note: the role must have either Reference Checks or Assessment enabled.
- Visit the page of the candidate you would like to request a background check for.
- Click on the three dots in the top right-hand corner to open the candidate drop-down menu.
- Click on the background check with Checkr button to open the New Invitation modal.
- Fill in the options for the background check and click submit. You should see a confirmation message, then you can close the modal by clicking the cross in the top right-hand corner.
- The candidate will receive an email from Checkr to initiate the background check process.
Monitor Background Checks
- Once the background check has been ordered, the Checkr results tab will be available to view in the candidate’s page.
- Click on the Checkr results tab. The current status of the report will be shown in blue.
- You can view the candidate in your Checkr dashboard by clicking on the view candidate / view report. Note: you must have the correct Checkr user permissions to access status of the report will be listed in the HiPeople candidate dashboard
For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the HiPeople integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Create customizable packages and add-ons
- New and existing user management
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.