When a report contains information that a candidate might not be right for your organization, you can begin the adverse action process. The process follows Checkr’s best practices and your custom account settings.
Your account must have both the adverse action and support email addresses or phone numbers.
To begin the pre-adverse action process, use the steps below:
- In the report's Actions section, select "Pre-adverse action."
- Select the disqualifying records. You must select at least one record.
- Confirm the number of days (7-30) to delay sending the post-adverse action notice. To read what Checkr will send the candidate on your behalf, select "Preview email."
- Select "Send pre-adverse action notice."
- In the confirmation window, select OK to send the notice, and then select Done to confirm.
Adverse action process overview
The default Checkr adverse action process includes the steps below:
- Checkr emails the pre-adverse action notice to the candidate.
- The waiting period is between 7 and 30 days.
- If the waiting period ends with no candidate response, Checkr sends the post-adverse action notice on your behalf to the candidate.
Cancel adverse action
Canceling the adverse action process cancels the post-adverse action email and allows you to engage the candidate. The adverse action process cancels in one of two ways:
- The candidate submits a dispute, which changes the report status to Dispute and cancels the adverse action process.
- If the candidate provides additional information or context about their record that affects your engagement decision, you can stop the adverse action process by selecting "Cancel adverse action."
Pause adverse action
Before deciding about a candidate, you might need time to review additional candidate-provided information such as a candidate story. After you send the pre-adverse action notice, you can manually pause the adverse action process by selecting "Pause adverse action."
By default, this pause lasts four days before the adverse action process automatically resumes. To adjust how long the pause lasts, contact Checkr.