Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Crelate integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Crelate, please fill out a support request for additional assistance.
- Add Checkr to Crelate
- Enable Checkr setup
- Create a Checkr account
- Account Hierarchy
- Order Background Checks
- Checkr Features
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The following items are required to initiate Crelate / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Crelate, with admin rights
Add Checkr to Crelate
First, enable Checkr from within Crelate. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Crelate to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate integration, go to account settings and then integrations:
Select Start Background Check and Sign In to your Checkr account.
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Crelate.
To create an account for use with Crelate:
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to Crelate.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, fill out the needed fields, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your company information.
- Next, enter payment information - credit card or bank information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, not from Crelate. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Select Finish Sign Up which will submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Crelate and you to begin ordering background checks through the Crelate platform.
The integration allows users to set up different "nodes" inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr requires you to assign packages to nodes once they are created, and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
Each time you order a background check, you will be asked which node to order the check from, and then select from a pre-populated list of packages available to that node. Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within 2 billing cycles after setup.
To order a background check with Account Hierarchy and nodes:
- Fill in the work location of the candidate as you normally would for any background check.
- Select which Hierarchy node you would like to order from.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run. If you do not see any packages populating, you will need to assign the appropriate packages to that node in your Checkr dashboard before proceeding.
Order Background Checks
Once your Crelate and Checkr accounts are connected, return to a candidate’s page, and click Start Background Check.
In the window that opens, select options for the check, and click Start Background Check.
Once the background check has been ordered, the status of the report will be listed in the Crelate candidate summary details. Once Complete, click on it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details.
(For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- New and existing user management
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr