Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Vanta integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Vanta, please fill out a support request for additional assistance.
Vanta / Checkr User Guide
Vanta / Checkr User Guide
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Vanta, such that Vanta users can initiate and view Checkr background checks from within the Vanta interface.
The following items are required to initiate Vanta / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Vanta, with admin rights
Add Checkr to Vanta
First, enable Checkr from within Vanta. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Vanta to complete this process.
Enable Checkr Integration
To initiate integration, go to the Connections page in Vanta. Scroll down to the Background Checks section and click Connect.
From the picklist, select Checkr:
A window will appear alerting the user that the integration uses OAuth and they can connect to Checkr.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to Vanta
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Vanta. You’ll need a few pieces of information to set up your account:
To create an account for use with Vanta:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Vanta. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks
Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
- Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Vanta and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Vanta platform.
- Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Order Background Checks
Once your Vanta and Checkr accounts are connected, navigate to the People page and determine which candidate or employee needs a background check.
To order a background check, navigate to the Checkr Dashboard to send an invitation to your candidate by selecting ‘Invite Candidates’:
IMPORTANT: Vanta customers are advised to run background checks using the same email address associated with the candidate/user in Vanta.
Once the background check has been completed in Checkr, the integration links the report status to the user profile in Vanta:
If the incorrect report is associated with the user, click on the info icon to the right of the Background Check Completed item to unlink the connection of the user to the specific Checkr background check:
If you incorrectly unlink a background check (or find that the integration has not automatically made the connection), Admins can navigate to the user profile and select the option to Link the background check:
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the Vanta integration allows users to view the status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Create customizable packages and add-ons
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.