International product overview
Checkr offers several global screenings for organizations hiring outside the United States (US). Depending on the country, Checkr offers a combination of criminal screenings, global watchlist screenings, education and employment verifications, adverse media searches, and identity document validation.
By providing both US and international checks from a single platform, Checkr provides the benefits below:
- A single source of truth: Manage background checks for all of your US and international candidates in a single platform with a unified billing system.
- Automated compliance workflows: Checkr supports your compliance by requesting the appropriate information and documentation from candidates depending on the countries in the search.
- Frictionless candidate contact: Checkr emails candidates directly so that you can simply request the screening and receive results.
- Guidance and support for candidates: International background checks can be confusing and require even more documentation and personally-identifying information than in the US. Checkr allows candidates to save their progress, read their results, and dispute errors.
Checkr offers the screenings below for international candidates:
- Adverse Media Search: Access private databases, public sanctions lists, media sources, and other public and private record repositories in countries that restrict third-party access to criminal record information.
The average turnaround time is 2-3 days.
- International Criminal Search: Search for criminal records outside the US. If no records are found, an adverse media screening happens. Additional charges might apply.
- International Education Verification: Confirm the candidate’s provided education or certification history outside of the United States.
The average turnaround time is 6-8 days.
- International Employment Verification: Confirm the candidate’s provided work history outside of the United States.
The average turnaround time is 6-8 days.
- International Global Watchlist: Identify whether a candidate is on domestic or international watchlists. This search includes several international, government, and regulatory databases that identify individuals who are either prohibited from certain industries, such as healthcare and finance, or are on criminal lists.
The average turnaround time time is ~2 days.
- International Identity Document Validation: Confirm the authenticity and validity of a candidate’s passport, national ID, or driver license and cross-checks against government databases.
The average turnaround time is ~3-5 days, while a submitted passport is ~1-2 days.
- International Motor Vehicle Report (IMVR): Assess the validity of a license, its class or classes, and current suspensions. IMVR provides information about whether the driver is legally eligible to drive and includes the information on a physical driver’s license. International MVR is currently available to candidates with a Canadian work location and Canadian driver’s license.
Unless there are exceptions that require additional input from the candidate, turnaround time is real-time, within seconds.
Note that IMVR is currently in beta and might not be available to all candidates.
|For details about international packages, refer to Help me understand Checkr packages.|
Checkr international screenings are available in all countries that allow criminal screenings.
The following locations restrict employers from accessing and using criminal information. For these locations, Checkr provides an Adverse Media Search:
- Christmas Island
- French Guiana
- French Polynesia
- Guernsey and Alderney
- Hong Kong
- Isle of Man
- Sierra Leone
- South Korea
Candidates are generally unfamiliar with the background check process and might need to submit information that they can't easily access. Checkr’s International Candidate Portal provides step-by-step guidance through the background check process and empowers candidates to save their progress, read their results, and dispute errors in their information.