Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Harri integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Harri, please email email@example.com for additional assistance.
Getting started with Checkr on Harri
- Create a Checkr account
- Define user roles and permissions in Harri
- Map Background Checks to Positions
- Order Background Checks
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
Getting started with Checkr on Harri
The Checkr integration allows you to add a background check into your hiring workflow. This automates and ensures consistency that all (defined) employees have passed background checks.
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Harri, such that Harri users can initiate, view, and process Checkr background checks from within the Harri interface.
The following items are required to initiate Harri / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Admin access to Harri
- The Background Check Service added to your Harri dashboard
Work with your Harri Customer Success Manager to add the Checkr Background Check Service to your Harri dashboard.
Create a Checkr account
Partner integrations require a Checkr account creation process that differs from that for standalone Checkr accounts. If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Harri.
To create an account for use with Harri:
- Click Settings in the right hand nav to open the left hand nav.
- In the left hand navigation bar, under Settings for Checkr’s Spot, click Background Checks.
- Click Connect.
In the window that opens, click Sign up to create a Checkr account, or Sign in with Checkr if the account is already enabled.
Existing Checkr customers
In the Sign In to your Checkr Account modal that opens, click Sign in with Checkr.
Use your Checkr account’s email address and password, and click Log In.
Once logged in, click Click to Connect to complete the process.
New Checkr customers
If you don’t yet have a Checkr account, you must first create one for use within Harri.
To create an account for use with Harri:
- From the Sign In to your Checkr Account, click Sign up.
- In the Create Account window that opens, enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Your Full Name: This name will be added as the first Admin for your Checkr account.
- Company Name: Your company’s name, as you wish it to appear in any emails sent to candidates from the account.
- Email Address: Your email address. This will also be used as the default billing and adverse action From: address in the Checkr account. Log into your Checkr account to change this information.
- Phone: Your contact phone number.
- Password: Enter a password for your personal Checkr account.
- Employment Location: Select your company’s state from the pulldown menu.
- Estimated Monthly Volume: Select the number of background checks you expect to run each month.
- Next, enter payment information for the account, and click Continue.
Note: Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Harri. You will not be charged until you request your first background check. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr Dashboard after the account has been created.)
You will be asked to provide your Credit Card information, including the Card Number, Security Code, Expiration date, and Zip Code.
The list of Packages listed on the Payment Information page vary by account. These Packages and their pricing are pre-negotiated for Harri users. If you require packages and screenings not available to your account by default, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Finally, use the Verification window to provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks. Enter the following information for your account:
- Legal Business Name
- Doing Business As
- Tax ID
- Number of Employees
- State of Incorporation
- Company Website
- Tax Classification
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
Click Submit to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Harri and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Harri platform.
Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will contact you by email.
Define user roles and permissions in Harri
Next, define Roles and Permissions for use with Checkr.
Click Roles & Permissions under the Settings for Checkr’s Spot menu in the left hand navigation bar.
Please note: Be certain to add a new Admin to the account, to serve as backup in the event of the unavailability of the initial Admin.
Click Create a New Role to define user roles within Harri.
- Add a Role Name.
- Use the Access pulldown to select permissions.
- Use the Harri Permissions check boxes to assign permissions to the role. Note: Checkr background check options appear listed under the Manage Applicants section.
- Request background checks: Grants the user’s ability to move a candidate to the Background Check AMS column and the ability to select Background Check package type(s), if the brand has more than one package option to select from.
- View background checks results: View detailed Background Check statuses and access full Background Check report
- Bypass background check: Ability to progress a candidate in onboarding process that has not completed or has not been sent a request for a Background Check
- Manage background check settings: Admin setting to define which positions will require checks and the flow (automated or manual) that will be associated with the checks.
- View Candidate Notes: (This option is not specific to background checks.) Grants the ability to view notes on the candidate’s profile.
- Manage Candidate Notes: (This option is not specific to background checks.) Grants the ability to add notes to the candidate’s profile.
Map Background Checks to Positions
Once connected, map the background checks you wish to run to the positions for which they will be run.
Harri allows you to determine whether background checks will be run automatically or manually per role. Use the top section of the Background Checks page to select positions for which background checks must be manually initiated. Use the bottom section of the page to select roles for which background checks will be initiated automatically upon the candidate accepting the position.
Manual Background Checks
Use the Category and Position pulldown menus to define positions for which background checks must be manually run. Use the + icon to add additional positions. Click Save to save your changes.
These background checks must be initiated manually by the hiring manager.
Automatic Background Checks
To define the positions for which background checks will be automatically initiated after the candidate has signed their offer, toggle the Send background checks automatically after offer E-signing option on.
- Next, select Employees, Category, Position, and Package for each position.
- Use the + icon to add more positions.
- Click Save to save your changes.
When the automatic setting is enabled, the Background Check column will be placed after the Offer Letter Column in the AMS for the selected Positions.
Order Background Checks
For positions which are set up to require Harri users to order background checks, moving a candidate into the Background Check column will prompt the user to select the Background Check package that they want to run. Once they have selected a package and sent the invitation, the status of the Background Check will be visible in the candidate card.
View and run Background Checks in SpeedyScreen
From the SpeedyScreen, users with permission to Request Background Check can send a new request for a background check.
When a candidate has been issued an invitation to the background check, a new section will populate on the candidate’s SpeedyScreen in Harri, called Background Check.
The Background Check section in SpeedyScreen displays the following information:
- Package: The Background Check Package used for the Candidate.
- Screenings: Checkr Screenings included in the Package.
- Request By: User that requested the Background Check.
- Requested Time: Timestamp the request was sent.
- Last Updated: Most recent timestamp of information received in Harri from Checkr.
- Status: Background Check Report status, as submitted by Checkr.
Once a screening has been completed, users with permissions to View Background Check Results will see a link to View Full Report. Click this link to open the Report in your Checkr Dashboard.
Use Checkr Geos with Harri
Once you have connected your Harri account with your Checkr account, Checkr Geos will be automatically populated in Harri.
When candidates are issued a Checkr invitation, the Geo associated with that job’s address will be applied if it has been defined within the Checkr account.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
The Harri integration allows you to order background checks and view their status, through the integration or through the Checkr dashboard, the following features are available only from within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.