Common reasons your background check is pending include:
- Checkr is waiting on information or documentation from you to continue with your report. Please check your email inbox and spam/junk file for any messages from Checkr requesting information or documentation.
- Checkr is waiting for information to be returned from county courts. A surprising number of courts in the US do not keep electronic records and still maintain paper records. Obtaining these records can add time to the process because it requires specially trained researchers to go to the county courthouse and physically pull records.
- Court backlogs. Due to staff shortages and the demand for records, many courts suffer from record request backlogs.
- Courts in California and Massachusetts are known for being slower than the norm.
- If your report includes a special screening, such as education or employment, that may cause your report to take longer to complete.
Most background checks take 3-7 business days to complete, depending mostly on the locations where records may be searched. If your background check is taking longer than that, please check your emails or log into the Candidate Portal to see if any information or documentation is required from you to move it along.