Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Workstream integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Workstream, please email email@example.com for additional assistance.
- Add Checkr to Workstream
- Order Background Checks
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
Workstream / Checkr User Guide
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Workstream, such that Workstream users can initiate, view, and process Checkr background checks from within the Workstream interface.
The following items are required to initiate Workstream / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Workstream, with admin rights
Add Checkr to Workstream
First, enable Checkr from within Workstream. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Workstream to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate integration, go to a candidate’s profile. Scroll down to the Background Checks section and click Start Background Check.
- Click on the Settings icon located at the upper right of the dashboard
- Choose Company
- Select Integration
- Click Connect
Clicking Connect to Checkr will open a window asking you to Sign Up or Sign In.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to Workstream.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information.
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Workstream.
To create an account for use with Workstream:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Workstream. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Workstream and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Workstream platform.
Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Order Background Checks
Before starting your first background check, the Admin has the option to enable and disable default packages. The Admin may want to do this to prevent team members from running certain packages.
Background Check Stage
- Go to the "Positions" tab.
- Click any location and select a position under it and click the "Settings" button.
- Click the "Add new stage" button.
- Select "Background check" then type any stage name for it and drag it to any order that you want to place it.
After you have created a stage for the background check, click that stage then choose only one Package (among the enabled packages) that you want to use then click "Save.”
Click the "Automation" tab then select the automation rule that says, If "the applicant is moved to this stage" then "send background check request.” This is important to make sure that when you move the applicant to this stage, they will receive a notification about it.
Once the background check has been ordered, the status of the report will be listed in the Workstream candidate dashboard. Once Complete, click on it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the Workstream integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Create customizable packages and add-ons
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.