Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Workstream integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Workstream, please visit the Workstream Help Center.
- Add Checkr to Workstream
- Enable Checkr setup
- Create a Checkr account
- Select and enable background check packages
- Add a background check stage to your hiring process for any position
- Check the status of a background check
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Workstream, such that Workstream users can initiate, view, and process Checkr background checks from within the Workstream interface.
The following items are required to initiate Workstream / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Workstream, with admin rights
Add Checkr to Workstream
First, enable Checkr from within Workstream. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Workstream to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
From your Workstream dashboard, go to Company > Integrations > Checkr.
Click Connect and complete the fields below to set up your Checkr account. If you already have a Checkr account, click on "Sign in" instead
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Workstream.
To create an account for use with Workstream:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Workstream. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
- Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Workstream and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Workstream platform.
- Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
- Once you are done filling out the fields, you will automatically connect to Checkr.
- NOTE: If you already have a Checkr account and are turning on the integration within Workstream for the first time, repeat Step 1 > Connect > click on "Sign in" as shown below:
Please firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any assistance with your account and billing information.
Select and enable background check packages
- If you don’t use Account Hierarchy in your Checkr account, we'll show you the default packages provided by Workstream and you can select which ones to enable.
- If you use Account Hierarchy in your Checkr account, we'll show you the nodes and assigned packages from your Checkr account and then you can select which ones to enable.
Add a background check stage to your hiring process for any position
- Go to the Positions tab.
- Select your brand. If you only have one brand, proceed to next step.
- Click the arrow down button next to the brand name to select a location.
- Select a position then click the three-dotted line located in the last column.
- Select Edit Position. You can also click the position name to take you to the Edit job summary page.
- Go to Stages. Click the Add new stage button.
- Select Background check then type any stage name for it and drag it to any order that you want to place it.
- If you don’t use Account Hierarchy, select which background check package to run for your position.
- If you use Account Hierarchy, select both the node and the background check package to run for your position.
- Click the Automation tab then select the automation rule that says "When an applicant enters this stage...Send them a message". This ensures that when you move the applicant to this stage, he/she will receive a notification about it.
Check the status of a background check
To view an applicant's background check status, follow the steps below.
- Log in to your Workstream account then go to Applicants.
- Select a Positions.
- Under Stages, select Background Check.
- Select the applicant's name.
- On the applicant's profile tab, select Background.
- A detailed status of the applicant's background check will appear along with the option for you to log directly into Checkr.
Reasons why a background check may take longer than expected
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the Workstream integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Create customizable packages and add-ons
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.