This article includes:
- Checkr Canada Candidate experience
- Acceptable pieces of identification for Canadian Criminal Record Check
Checkr Canada Candidate experience
This document describes the default Checkr candidate experience. Once you issue a background check invitation, candidates will step through the following process.
Screens presented in the candidate workflow may be customized to fit your company’s branding, including your logo, color scheme, and company address. The required documentation presented to the candidates will also be made available to your legal team for review.
Default candidate experience
First, candidates will receive an email, asking them to participate in a background check.
After clicking Continue, candidates will be redirected to the Candidate Portal, and asked to provide Personally Identifying Information (PII), consent to the background check, and then step through an identity verification sequence.
Note: The specific identity verification sequence presented your candidates is dependent on your selection of in-house Identity Verification, or a Checkr-supported Identity Verification.
Clicking Continue will open the Candidate Portal, with their first and last names pre-populated in the form presented.
They will click Get Started to enter the requested information, and consent to the background check.
Information requested will include date of birth, current and previous addresses, and contact information. After completing all required fields, your candidate will be asked to confirm their personal information, upload two pieces of identification, and add an eSignature.
Next, candidates will select answers from the Identity Verification screens to confirm their identity.
Once complete, they will be asked to consent to a criminal record check, provide information on any convictions they might have, and then provide an eSignature to confirm their consent.
After completing all disclosures, candidates are redirected to their profile for review, and receive an email confirmation of their consent to the background check.
Acceptable pieces of identification for Canadian Criminal Record Check
A Candidate must provide two (2) valid pieces of identification: A primary card and a secondary card.
PRIMARY pieces of ID
Any government-issued card that includes the Candidate's name, date of birth, signature and photo.
- Driver’s License (issued by Canadian province or territory)
- Foreign Driver’s License
- Canadian Passport
- Foreign Passport
- BC Driver’s Licence and Services Card
- Photo BC Services Card
- Permanent Resident (PR) Card
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card
- Canadian National Institute of The Blind (CNIB) Identification Card
- Federal, Provincial or Municipal Identification Card
- Military Family Card
- Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or Possession/Acquisition License (PAL)
- Provincial or Territorial Health Cards (1)
SECONDARY pieces of ID
A second “PRIMARY” piece of ID OR a piece of identification from the list below. (Candidate’s name on the secondary piece of ID must match that on the primary ID.)
- Government Employment Card
- International Student Card
- Age of Majority Card
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Certificate
- Non-Photo BC Services Card
- Hunting License
- Fishing License
- Boating License
- LCBO/Age of Majority Card
- Outdoors Card
- Hospital Card
- Canadian Blood Donor Card
- Immigration Papers
- Student ID
- City/Municipal Library Card
- Utility bill (water, electricity, taxes or Lease agreement showing both name and address will be accepted. To be used only in cases where the Candidate does not have a Secondary piece of ID).
Will NOT be accepted:
Some examples: Non-Government Employment Card, Social Insurance Number (SIN) card, Credit/Debit Card, Gym member Card, Costco Card, Air Miles Card, etc.
(1) Provincial or Territorial Health Card as Primary ID or Secondary ID: as permitted to be used for identification purposes under provincial law. Government-issued Health card that includes the Candidate's name, date of birth, signature and photo will be accepted if the Candidate volunteers to submit his/her Health Card as a piece of identity and the photocopy of the Health Card number is blacked out before submitting for a criminal background check.