Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the entire Checkr process, including how to set up your Checkr account on the Paylocity platform, how to use the Checkr dashboard, and how to review background check reports.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any other questions that are not covered in this guide, please contact Checkr Customer Support for additional assistance.
Table of Contents
- Add Checkr to Paylocity
- Order Background Checks
- Use Checkr's Account Hierarchy
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
Getting started with Checkr on Paylocity
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Paylocity, such that Paylocity users can initiate, view, and process Checkr background checks from within the Paylocity interface.
The only prerequisite to integrate Checkr into your Paylocity account is that you have a Paylocity account, and are logged in as an Admin.
Add Checkr to Paylocity
First, enable Checkr from within Paylocity. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Paylocity to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate integration, go to Settings > Enhanced Features, and click Setup for Checkr.
Then, click Connect to connect your Paylocity account to Checkr.
Clicking Connect will open a window asking you to Sign Up or Sign In.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select sign in to connect your current Checkr account to Paylocity.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information.
Create a Checkr account
Partner integrations require a Checkr account creation process that differs from that for standalone Checkr accounts. If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Paylocity.
To create an account for use with Paylocity:
1. Click Set up a Checkr Account when prompted.
2. Enter your name, company contact information, required credentialing information, and click Continue.
3. Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Paylocity. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Paylocity and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Paylocity platform.
Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Order background checks
Once your Paylocity and Checkr accounts are connected, Paylocity will include a Background Check tab in the candidate dashboard.
To order a background check,
- Select a candidate
- Click Order Background Check,
- Fill in the work location of the candidate
- Note: Work location is required to ensure the correct disclosure forms are sent to the candidate based on the compliance laws in different states
- Select the Background Check Package to run, and click Order.
Once the background check has been ordered, the status of the report will be listed in the Paylocity candidate dashboard. Once Complete, click it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.).
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use Checkr's Account Hierarchy
The Paylocity integration allows users to set up different "nodes" inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the Paylocity background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr also allows you to assign packages to nodes, and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
For more information on Account Hierarchy, nodes, and how to configure your account, see Checkr's Account Hierarchy User Guides. If you have Account Hierarchy enabled and configured for your Checkr account, Paylocity will recognize these settings. Each time you order a background check within Paylocity, you will be asked which node to order the check from, and then select from a pre-populated list of packages available to that node. Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within 2 billing cycles after setup.
To order a background check with Account Hierarchy and nodes:
- Fill in the work location of the candidate as you normally would for any background check through Paylocity.
- Select which Hierarchy node you would like to order from.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run.
Note: If you do not see the Account Hierarchy settings in your Checkr account, please contact Checkr Customer Support to have it enabled.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the Paylocity integration provides the means to order background checks and view their status through the integration or through the Checkr dashboard, the following features are available only from within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
Note: If Account Hierarchy is enabled for your Account, please see the corresponding guides in Checkr's Account Hierarchy Dashboard User Guides.
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.