Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the entire Checkr process, including how to set up your Checkr account on the Paylocity platform, how to use the Checkr dashboard, and how to review background check reports.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any other questions that are not covered in this guide, please contact Checkr Customer Support for additional assistance.
- Add Checkr to Paylocity
- Order Background Checks
- Use Checkr's Account Hierarchy
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Paylocity, such that Paylocity users can initiate, view, and process Checkr background checks from within the Paylocity interface.
The only prerequisite to integrate Checkr into your Paylocity account is that your Paylocity account is set up within Paylocity's Recruiting module, and you are logged in as an Admin.
Add Checkr to Paylocity
First, enable Checkr from within Paylocity. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Paylocity to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate integration, go to Settings > Enhanced Features, and click Setup for Checkr.
Then, click Connect to connect your Paylocity account to Checkr.
Clicking Connect will open a window asking you to Sign Up or Sign In.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select sign in to connect your current Checkr account to Paylocity.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your billing and credentialing information.
Create a Checkr account
Partner integrations require a Checkr account creation process that differs from that for standalone Checkr accounts. If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Paylocity.
To create an account for use with Paylocity:
1. Click Set up a Checkr Account when prompted.
2. Enter your name, company contact information, required credentialing information, and click Continue.
3. Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Paylocity. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Paylocity and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Paylocity platform.
Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Order background checks
Once your Paylocity and Checkr accounts are connected, Paylocity will include a Background Check tab in the candidate dashboard.
To order a background check,
- Select a candidate
- Click Order Background Check,
- Fill in the work location of the candidate
- Note: Work location is required to ensure the correct disclosure forms are sent to the candidate based on the compliance laws in different states
- If the candidate does not have an address, please add a candidate address by editing the candidate
- Select the Background Check Package to run, and click Order.
Candidate has address:
No candidate address:
Once the background check has been ordered, the status of the report will be listed in the Paylocity candidate dashboard. Once Complete, click it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.).
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Do you have a candidate who both lives and works outside of the United States?
Checkr defines international background checks as background checks run on candidate’s living and working outside of the United States. If your candidate works in the United States but has out-of-country history, for example, attended school internationally, Paylocity should request a package that includes an education verification with out-of-country history enabled.
Checkr currently offers the following international screenings for candidate’s with work locations outside the United States:
Adverse Media Search - may be enabled to automatically run if criminal is not available
Identity Document Verification
Ordering an International Background Check
Don't forget that while Paylocity may identify the candidate address as optional, the candidate address is required to run a background check. If an address is not provided an error will be displayed before the background check can be ordered. You will be prompted to edit the address before you can proceed.
For International background checks, the candidate address must be outside of the US.
- Select a candidate
- Navigate to the Background Check tab
- Click Order Background Check
- Enter work location
- Work location is based on where the candidate is going to work
- Work location must be input to submit the order
- Work location must also be outside of the United States
- Select Hierarchy Node
- Select Background Check Package
- When placing an international background check, only international packages will appear in the drop-down
- If your company runs background checks in the United States, domestic checks will not appear
- Once the package is selected it will populate
- Screenings included in the package will be listed under the package
- Click Order to place your order and send the background check invitation to the candidate
- Once the order is placed, the candidate background check status will update
- The status will appear as incomplete within Paylocity
- This will always say incomplete because all international background checks are invitations
Does your candidate work in the United States but has out-of-country history?
Checkr currently offers an out-of-country history setting that can be added to any domestic criminal search or verification. The option can be applied for candidates who will perform their work inside the US, but who have an address history outside the US. Screening types that can be run on domestic screenings with out-of-country history include:
Use Checkr's Account Hierarchy
The Paylocity integration allows users to set up different "nodes" inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the Paylocity background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr also allows you to assign packages to nodes, and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
For more information on Account Hierarchy, nodes, and how to configure your account, see Checkr's
Payment & Billing, Adverse Actions, and Manage Account Settings Help Articles.
If you have Account Hierarchy enabled and configured for your Checkr account, Paylocity will recognize these settings. Each time you order a background check within Paylocity, you will be asked which node to order the check from, and then select from a pre-populated list of packages available to that node. Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within 2 billing cycles after setup.
To order a background check with Account Hierarchy and nodes:
- Fill in the work location of the candidate as you normally would for any background check through Paylocity.
- Select which Hierarchy node you would like to order from.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run.
Note: If you do not see the Account Hierarchy settings in your Checkr account, please contact Checkr Customer Support to have it enabled.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the Paylocity integration provides the means to order background checks and view their status through the integration or through the Checkr dashboard, the following features are available only from within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.