Welcome to Checkr!
This user guide will walk you through the entire Checkr / Paylocity integration process. If you have any questions that are not covered in this user guide, visit the Checkr Help Center. You can also submit a support ticket to the Checkr Support Team.
Content within this user guide
- Getting started
- Connect to Checkr
- Create a Checkr account
- Order background checks
- International packages
- Ordering an international background check
- Domestic package with International Verifications
- Use Checkr's Account Hierarchy
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Checkr’s candidate experience
The following permissions are required to enable the Checkr / Paylocity integration:
- Admin access to Checkr and Paylocity, and
- Paylocity Recruiting access
Connect to Checkr
If your organization does not have a Checkr account, you will need to create one after you complete step 5. The steps for this process are listed in the following section, Create a Checkr account.
- Log in to your Paylocity account
- Select "Recruiting"
- Select "Settings"
- Select "Enhanced Features" in the navigation pane on the left-hand side of the page
- In the Checkr row, select "Setup"
- If your organization has an account with Checkr, select "Connect." If your organization does not have
Create a Checkr account
If your organization already has a Checkr account, select "Sign in" to connect your existing Checkr account to Paylocity. If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Paylocity.
To create an account with Paylocity:
- Fill out the information fields with your account information
- Select Sign Up
- Add a few more details about your organization
- Enter payment information. This can be a credit card or bank account. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, not from Paylocity. Please note that payment information may be edited on the Checkr Dashboard after the account has been created.
- Select "Finish sign up." This will submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both you and Paylocity to begin ordering background checks through the Paylocity platform.
Order background checks
To order a background check,
- Select a candidate
- Click "Order background check"
Fill in the work location of the candidate. Work location is required to ensure the correct disclosure forms are sent to the candidate based on the compliance laws in different states. If the candidate does not have an address, please add the candidate's address by editing the candidate.
No candidate address:
- Select the background check package to run
- Select "Order"
Once the background check has been ordered, the status of the report will be listed in the Paylocity candidate dashboard. Once the report is complete, click "View Results In Your Checkr Dashboard" to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard and review the details. For more information on completed reports, visit the Review completed reports section of the Checkr Help Center.
Please note that while most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations. For more information, refer to Why is the background check taking so long to complete?
Do you have a candidate who both lives and works outside of the United States?
Checkr defines international background checks as background checks run on candidates living and working outside of the United States. If your candidate works in the United States but has out-of-country history, for example, or attended school internationally, use a package that has out-of-country history enabled. To create a package with this setting, reach out to our support team.
Checkr currently offers the following international screenings for candidates with work locations outside the United States:
Adverse Media Search - may be enabled to automatically run if the criminal check is not available
Identity Document Verification
Ordering an international background check
For International background checks, the candidate's address must be outside of the US.
While Paylocity may identify the candidate's address as optional, the candidate's address is required to run a background check. If an address is not provided, an error will be displayed before the background check can be ordered. You will be prompted to edit the address before you can proceed.
- Select a candidate
- Navigate to the "Background Check" tab
- Select "Order Background Check"
- Enter work location. Note that the work location must meet the following criterion:
- Based on where the candidate is going to work
- Must be input to submit the order
- Must be outside of the United States
- Select a Hierarchy Node
- Select a background check package. Note that when placing an international background check, only international packages will appear in the drop-down list. If your company runs background checks in the United States, domestic checks will not appear
- Click "Order" to place your order. This will send a background check invitation to the candidate.
Once the order is placed, the candidate's background check status will update to "Incomplete." This is because all international background checks are invitations.
US background checks with international verifications
If your candidate works in the US but has lived or worked outside the US, add out-of-country history to any domestic criminal search or verification.
The option can be applied for candidates who will perform their work inside the US, but who have an address history outside the US. Screening types that can be run on domestic screenings with out-of-country history include:
- Education Verification
- Employment Verification
The Paylocity integration allows users to set up different "nodes" inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the Paylocity background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr also allows you to assign packages to nodes and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
For more information about nodes and how to configure your account, refer to the Help Center articles below:
Each time you order a background check, you select which node to order the check from, and then select from a list of packages available to that node. Invoices show the background checks that each node ordered within 2 billing cycles after setup.
To order a background check with account hierarchy and nodes:
- Fill in the work location of the candidate as you normally would for a background check.
- Select which node to order from.
The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run.
Note: If you do not see the Account Hierarchy settings in your Checkr account, please contact Checkr Customer Support to have it enabled.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view report statuses, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Order a candidate's report
- Adjudicate a candidate’s report
- The adverse action process: Deciding not to move forward with a candidate
- Candidate stories: Better understand the past and present
- Checkr settings
Checkr’s candidate experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate's experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center, where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
The overview includes:
- An overview of the candidate process
- General information about the background check process, including exceptions and disputes
- An overview of the Checkr Candidate Portal
- An introduction to the Candidate Experience team
- A list of some of the most common candidate questions
- Links to the most frequently used pages in the Checkr Help Center
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr