For some organizations, pre-employment drug testing helps maintain a safer, more productive work environment. Checkr's partner, eScreen, offers clinic-based drug tests for the substances below:
The most common panels include the tests below:
If you need a more specific panel, contact Checkr.
To add drug tests to your account, contact Checkr. You can order your first test seven to ten business days after you add drug tests to your account.
Sample collection process
Sample collection follows the process below:
- You send an invitation to the candidate.
- The candidate prints their test pass.
- The candidate contacts a clinic to schedule their appointment.
- The candidate completes their appointment before the pass expires. If you need to, you can update the clinic location for the candidate or send an updated pass from their report in the Checkr Dashboard.
- After the test, the clinic submits a sample to a lab. The lab tests the sample and submits the results to eScreen. A certified medical review officer (MRO) reviews the results.
- Results appear in the Checkr Dashboard for your review.
Clinics that keep electronic records complete assessments faster than those that keep paper records.
Medical review officer (MRO) process for non-DOT drug tests
An eScreen MRO reviews drug test results. For non-negative results, such as pending results or inconclusive results, the MRO follows the steps below:
- The MRO reviews the result with the candidate.
- The MRO determines whether the candidate uses prescription medication that would show evidence of the tested substance.
- If necessary, the MRO verifies the prescription with the candidate's pharmacy.
- If the MRO needs to contact the candidate, they make three attempts within one business day.
- If the MRO can't contact the candidate during this time, the candidate has an additional 72 business hours to respond before the results change.
- If the candidate doesn't respond, the result appears in the candidate's report as “Positive-UTCD” (Unable To Contact Donor).
Review test results
The Checkr Dashboard usually has test results within three days of the candidate completing the appointment. MRO review extends the average turnaround time up to ten business days.
To prevent delays, advise your candidate to complete the steps below:
- Call the clinic to confirm the appointment.
- Print the test pass and bring it to the appointment. The clinic won't complete the test without the pass. The clinic can't help with lost or misplaced passes.
You can review test results from the Health Screening section of the candidate’s report. For more details, you can also download the health test PDF from the "Report information" section of the candidate's report.
Clinic-based drug test results are either negative or positive:
- Negative: The test didn't find evidence of the tested substance.
- Positive: The test found evidence of at least one of the tested substances.
Checkr can't expedite reports for drug tests. Checkr also can't change a test's result. If a candidate wants to dispute drug test results, they can contact the MRO directly at 888-382-2281.
The candidate provides the relevant personally identifying information (PII) below:
- Birth date
- Email address
- Full name
- Phone number
- Social Security number (SSN)
The candidate then reads and acknowledges receipt of applicable forms and authorizations:
- A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Disclosure Regarding Background Investigation
- Other state and required disclosures as applicable
- Authorization for a background check
After the candidate signs the authorization form, the candidate completes the steps below:
- Consent to the test.
- Select a test location.
- Confirm the appointment with the clinic, and schedule the test before the listed date.
- Download and print the pass.
- Bring the pass to the clinic for the test.
If you applied for a job and want to know your background check’s status, log in to the Checkr Candidate Portal.