An exception is a circumstance that prevents a candidate's background report from processing or continuing to process. Exceptions usually happen because of missing or incorrect candidate information. The candidate can often submit documents to resolve the exception.
Why exceptions happen
Exceptions happen for 2 reasons:
- Checkr can't find information based on a candidate's name or birth date.
- Checkr can't get a candidate's electronic motor vehicle record (MVR).
When an exception happens, Checkr updates the candidate's pending report to display a card with the information below:
- Exception time
- Suggested solution
- Link to submit documents that can resolve the exception
Checkr also emails this information to the candidate.
Checkr requests the information below to resolve exceptions:
Information that Checkr requests
|Name or birth date||Photo of a government-issued ID|
|Motor vehicle record (MVR)||Photo of a valid driver's license|
|Social Security number (SSN)||An item below:
|US territory search||An item below:
Checkr reviews document submissions within 24 hours. If a candidate doesn't respond to Checkr’s request for information within 7 days, the report status changes to Suspended, and the report stops further processing. If a candidate submits required information between 8 and 30 days of Checkr’s request, the report status changes to Pending and resumes processing. If the candidate doesn’t respond within 30 days, the report gets either the Canceled or Suspended status depending on the exception type.
Help your candidates resolve exceptions
To help your candidates resolve exceptions, use the tips below:
- Encourage your candidates to visit the Candidate Portal frequently to check their reports' progress. Exceptions, and links to resolve them, appear when the candidate first logs in.
- Send your candidates the link to the exception from the Checkr Dashboard. Ask candidates to follow the instructions to resolve the issue.
- Click the link on the report, and enter the requested information on your candidate's behalf.