This article will help you:
- Order a report
- Send email invitations to your candidates in bulk
- Send individual links by copying & pasting
- Create manual orders, where you capture the candidate’s information offline
- Check invitation statuses to follow up with candidates
This article is for the following user roles: admin, requester
There are two ways to run background checks using the Checkr Dashboard: invitation links and manual orders.
- Invite candidates allows candidates to complete a background check workflow from an email or link.
- Manual orders allow individual recruiters to order ad-hoc background checks quickly. You must collect the candidate's PII and consent to run the background check offline.
NOTE: Only users with requester or admin roles can order new reports.
If you don't see any links to invite candidates in your account, you likely haven't set up payment yet. As an admin, go to Account Settings > Payment to enter it.
Send invitations via email (recommended)
Sending email invitations is the most popular way to request background checks because of the convenience and compliance.
This workflow is hosted by Checkr: we'll capture and store the candidate's PII (personally identifiable information), serve the necessary Disclosure and Authorization documents, and add state-specific documents.
To send a candidate an invitation to begin the background screening process, log into the Checkr Dashboard and go to the Candidates section.
- Click Invite Candidates.
- Select a Package. You can see which screenings are included in the package.
- If your account uses Geos or Programs, select those as well. Selecting Geos and Programs will make the background check process more compliant and give you more analytics data.
- You'll be able to send an invitation to up to 25 candidates at a time. Checkr will re-send the invitation every day for 7 calendar days by default, but you can change this window by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Here’s what the invitation looks like:
TIP: If the link expires, you can send a new one via email, or send an invitation link. You will not be charged for expired invites.
Send invitation links
To see your existing invitation links, go to the Home section of the Dashboard. You can copy and paste the URL, or click the copy button to copy the URL to send to a candidate.
After candidates submit their information and consent to the background check, their reports are populated in the Candidates section of the dashboard.
TIP: Ensure the link works by pasting it to a new tab. If you see a Page Not Found error, your account is not authorized. Contact email@example.com to authorize your account.
Create a manual order
Note: Manual orders are not enabled by default. If you’d like to enable manual order functionality, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set it up.
To create a manual order, go to the Candidates section of the Checkr Dashboard.
- Click Manual Order.
- Just like in the invitation link workflow, you'll select a Geo, Program, and Package. In addition to the candidate's email address, you'll also add other PII including their name, social security number (SSN), date of birth (DOB), and ZIP code.
- You can also add their phone number and email, in order to send a copy of the report to the candidate.
- Click Continue, and you'll be taken to the Authorization section. This is where you can select whether you want to send the candidate a copy of the report.
- You'll also need to verify that you gave the candidate a clear stand-alone disclosure and obtained their written consent to run a background check.
IMPORTANT: Don't skip this step! Disclosure and authorization is a common area of litigation and compliance risk for background checks.
Check an invitation’s status
On the Candidates section of the Dashboard, you can see the status of all invitations you’ve sent under the Status column.
If it’s been fewer than 7 days since you generated the invitation, the candidate will be in Invitation sent status. If it’s been more than 7 days and the link has expired, the candidate will be in Expired status.
If you want to subscribe to receive email notifications when invites expire, or when an invite is completed and a report is created, you can do so from the Account Settings section, under Email notifications. See our article on email notifications for more information.
Order a new report for an existing candidate
You can order a new report for an existing candidate if 30 days have passed since the original report, so that they won’t have to fill out the invitation link again.
To do this, go to their report and click order new report. If you want to continue ordering reports on a regular basis for this candidate, use our Subscriptions feature.