On the Candidates tab of the Dashboard, you will see one of the following statuses for candidates who have already begun the background check process.
Checkr uses “pointer” searches to determine which counties may reveal additional records. Pointer searches, like the SSN Trace and the National Criminal screening, return a list of counties that Checkr then searches for criminal records. Because these searches are an operational step in the process, they do not contain actionable results. Accordingly, a status of “Complete” better represents the operations Checkr has conducted on pointer searches.
- Previously, the National Criminal screening section of reports reflected the status of any related County Criminal screenings.
- With this update to the Checkr Dashboard, the National Criminal screening now shows only a final status of “Complete”, and is marked in blue. No action is available in this section of the report.
- Any actionable results will continue to be displayed in the County Criminal section.
The report is processing. While most reports take 2-3 days to finalize, some may take longer. The most common causes for delay are if Checkr is waiting on the candidate to provide information, or if a County Criminal Search is in progress.
- If Checkr is waiting on information from the Candidate, Checkr required a form of documentation from the candidate to advance the report. We reach out to candidates for exceptions like these, in order to keep your background check process running smoothly.
- If a County Criminal Search is in progress, some County Criminal Searches take significantly longer than others if we are searching for records in a county that processes search requests in a less efficient manner. Unfortunately, the County Criminal search cannot be expedited as much as we’d like since Checkr operates at the mercy of the courts.
For more information, see "Why is the background check taking longer than expected?"
The report is complete and does not contain adverse information on any of the screenings.
The report is complete and contains some sort of adverse information to evaluate (criminal records, traffic infractions, or other information). Consider may also be used to indicate that a Motor Vehicle Report contains violations that do not meet your Motor Vehicle Report criteria, or the Employment and/or Education verifications were not an exact match.
The report is complete, and the candidate has contacted Checkr to contest its accuracy. Adjudication is blocked while a report status is Dispute.
The reinvestigation window for disputed reports is a maximum of 30 days. An email will be sent to the compliance contact on your Checkr account once the reinvestigation has been completed.
The report cannot be completed because information is missing or cannot be verified. Checkr has contacted the candidate to submit additional documents. The report will be reinitiated once the information is confirmed.
See our exceptions article for more information.
The invitation link has been sent within the past 7 days, but the candidate has not yet responded, and the report has therefore not yet begun.
The invitation link was sent more than 7 days ago, and the candidate did not complete it. A new invitation must be sent if you wish to continue with this candidate.