The British Columbia (BC) Enhanced Plus search, created with the BC Passenger Transportation Board, improves the application process for BC taxi and rideshare drivers.
A BC Police Service provider flags candidates who have records, according to the Passenger Transportation Board (PTB) regulations below:
- Convictions, within the previous 10 years, for offenses under the Criminal Code or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada)
- An outstanding charge for offenses under the Criminal Code or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada)
- A conviction for any of the offenses below, regardless of time frame, including previous versions of these offenses:
- Air or maritime safety offenses (sections 76 to 78)
- Arson - disregard for human life (section 433)
- Assault offenses (sections 267 to 269.1)
- Assaulting peace officer (sections 270.01 and 270.02)
- Breaking and entering offenses (sections 348 to 351)
- Criminal negligence, murder, infanticide, bodily harm (sections 219 to 248)
- Hate crimes (sections 318 and 319)
- Kidnapping, trafficking in persons, hostage taking (sections 279 to 281)
- Mischief causing actual danger to life (section 430 (2))
- Offenses involving explosives (sections 79 to 82.6)
- Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose (section 88)
- Robbery and extortion (sections 343 to 346)
- Robbery to steal firearm (section 98.1)
- Terrorism (part II.1)
- Use of firearm in commission of offense (section 85)
- A conviction for the offenses below regardless of time frame, including previous versions of these offenses:
- Child pornography (section 163.1)
- Obtaining, producing or advertising sexual services (section 286.1 to 286.4)
- Removal of child from Canada for sexual purposes (section 273.3)
- Sexual assault (sections 271 to 273)
- Sexual interference, sexual touching, sexual exploitation (sections 151 to 153.1)
The turnaround time for BC Enhanced Plus search is one business day.
BC Enhanced Plus search searches the national and local databases below:
- If an applicant self-declares a conviction, Checkr searches the applicable Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) databases.
- If the CPIC search confirms the applicant’s self-declared conviction, the application changes to Confirmed if no search in the additional categories below causes the application to change to Incomplete.
- The application will be marked “Negative” if the CPIC search finds no convictions and non search in the additional categories below causes the application to be marked “Incomplete.”
- If the CPIC search finds undeclared criminal convictions, the application will be marked as “Incomplete.”
- If the CPIC search finds outstanding charges, warrants, prohibits or conditions, the application will be marked as “Incomplete”.
- Specific to each applicant, the department searches the Police Information Portal (PIP) database to find the information below:
- Additional criminal offense convictions, either indictable or summary
- Applicant-specific incident role code of charged, recommend charges, suspect, or suspect chargeable.
- If the PIP search finds convictions or role code entries, the application will be marked as “Incomplete.”
- Specific to each applicant, the Department will query the Police Records Information Management Environment (PRIME) database and seek to identify adverse police contact, as indicated by the following role codes: recommend charges, suspect or suspect chargeable.
- If the PRIME search reveals any of the above specified role code entries, the application will be marked as “Incomplete”.
Court Services Online (JUSTIN) Search
- Specific to each applicant, the Department will query the Court Services Online (JUSTIN) database and seek to identify any and all additional criminal offense convictions recorded therein, either indictable or summary.
- If the JUSTIN search reveals any additional convictions, the application will be marked as “Incomplete”.
How to Order
You can order a BC Enhanced Plus search from the main page of the dashboard.
- Select "Order background check."
- Complete the four fields below. You can include a phone number or reference number if your organization needs one:
- Reason for Request
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email address
- Select BC Enhanced Plus Police Record search.
To review the results of a BC Enhanced Plus search, select the file number.
The BC Enhanced Plus Search returns the results below:
The authorized databases have no additional information that matches the candidate's name and birth date.
Unclear/Additional Check Recommended
Refer the candidate to their local police detachment to get a Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector (PIC VS). The candidate can upload their PIC VS for your team’s review. Rejected candidates can contact the PTB to appeal the decision.