Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr | POINT integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
- Before starting
- Create a Checkr account
- Account Hierarchy
- Order Background Checks
- Checkr’s Candidate Experience
- Review A Background Check
- Use the Checkr Dashboard
- Resources in POINT
The following items are required to initiate the POINT / Checkr integration.
- Access to POINT (Pro Subscription), with admin or owner rights
- Admin access to Checkr
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integrating with POINT.
- In your nonprofit admin dashboard, select Organization in the left hand side menu
- Select Integrations in the drop down menu
- Select the Checkr Integration option on the Integrations page
- Next, you have the option to Create a new Checkr Account or Connect an existing Checkr Account
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to POINT.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, fill out the needed fields, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account, and add your company information.
- Select Finish Sign Up which will submit the account to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both POINT and you to begin ordering background checks through the POINT platform.
- After successfully signing up or signing in to Checkr, you will be redirected back to POINT to configure the integration.
The integration allows users to set up different nodes inside of their Checkr account to have displayed in the background check ordering workflow. Nodes can be used to designate different locations, teams, or groups that order background checks within your organization. Checkr allows you to assign packages to nodes once they are created, and will then display which node ordered which package on your Checkr invoice.
Each time you set up an event and configure the event’s background check settings, you will be asked to select a node to order the check from, and then select from a pre-populated list of packages available to that node. The list of available Packages will automatically generate based on the node you select. Select the background check package you want to run.
Or, you can set up a default node and background check package for all checks run through POINT.
Invoices will show the background checks ordered by each node within 2 billing cycles after setup. For more information on Account Hierarchy, nodes, and how to configure your account, see Checkr's Payment & Billing, Adverse Actions, and Manage Account Settings Help Articles.
Order Background Checks
Currently, background checks are tied to event registration. As an admin, you’re able to require a screening for a volunteer before they volunteer and then approve that volunteer’s event registration after the background has been completed.
- If you're planning on requiring background checks for most of your volunteer opportunities, save admin time by setting a default background check requirement for future events you create.
- Set an auto-expiration for your organization's background checks, if applicable for your organization. Each nonprofit has their own decision making process for background check reviews. Each nonprofit can decide what it means to Pass a background check and how long that background check is good for.
- Now you're all set up. To start running background checks, create an event you want to require a screening for. Select Volunteer in the admin left hand side menu. Next, select Manage Events from the submenu. Then, once on the Manage Events page select Create Event in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Since background checks can differ at the shift level (giving the most flexibility to nonprofits) you'll find the toggle to turn on the background check requirement in the When section of the Create Event page. Turn the Toggle next to Background Check Required on.
- Next, make sure that the background check package you wish to require is correct. If you have a default package selected, it will automatically populate though you are able to change the selection here if needed.
- Note: Currently, an admin is unable to request a background check for a specific volunteer outside of event or shift registration. However, our team is working on this feature.
- Tip: If you wish to block event registration a few days before an event starts, so that there is time for all of the background checks to be completed, follow the steps to set a deadline to register.
- Tip: If you wish to require background checks on some shifts rather than others, or even to check two different background check requirements for different shifts, this is possible. Just select Add Shift and you'll be able to require and select the background check package at the shift level.
- Once your event is published, volunteers are required to start the background check process. You can check the status of your volunteers background checks in several locations including the Event Details Volunteer List, shown below:
- Note: Volunteers' background check reports are not stored in POINT, they are only stored in Checkr. However, POINT stores the status of the screening. If you'd like to view a volunteer candidate's background check you can go directly to your Checkr account and search for the volunteer by name. Or you can find the quick links to a volunteer's Checkr profile and report in POINT.
- Make sure that once your organization sees there is a completed background check that you complete the adjudication process in Checkr. As an admin, you must manually approve a volunteer's registration by changing their registration from Pending to Signed Up in the Event Details Volunteer List.
- Note: Completed does not mean a volunteer has passed a background check screening. Completed simply means that the screening process has been completed. If a check has been completed, the nonprofit admin must approve the volunteer for an opportunity or event. See all the Background Check Status Types below.
Checkr’s Candidate Experience
The Checkr candidate experience overview describes the Checkr candidate experience of the background check process. It includes information about the Checkr Candidate Portal and Help Center where candidates can self-serve and address common issues that can stall or delay their background checks. The overview also includes common reasons candidates contact Checkr and how to address these issues.
Review A Background Check
Volunteer's background check reports are not stored in POINT, they are only stored in Checkr. However, POINT stores the status of the screening.
If you'd like to view a volunteer candidate's background check you can go directly to your Checkr account and search for the volunteer by name. Or you can find the quick links to a volunteer's Checkr Profile in POINT.
Where to find quick links to a volunteer's background check screening in POINT:
1. Volunteer Profile: Navigate to a volunteers profile from the People option in the left hand side menu or click on a volunteers photo thumbnail on pages like Event CheckIn. In each volunteer profile there is a Tab labeled Background Checks. There, the statuses of the background checks they have undergone specific to your organization will be listed. If available, a link to their background check will be listed there.
2. Background Check Page: Navigate to People, then select Background Checks in the sub menu. This will show a list of all the screenings underway for your organization. If available, a link to a volunteer's background check in Checkr will be listed there for easy access.
3. Checkr Integration Page: Navigate to Organization, Select Integrations in the submenu, then select Checkr amongst the integration options. If your Checkr account is setup and connected, you'll see a button labeled View my Background Checks. This will also take you to the background check page noted above.
For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings