The goals of onsite oral fluid drug tests are to expedite hiring and reduce the costs and risks of drug use in the workplace.
Checkr partners with Premier Biotech to offer onsite oral fluid drug tests. You administer the OralTox rapid oral fluid drug test where you choose, instead of at a third-party clinic.
Some states and localities have specific laws or guidelines for oral fluid and instant testing. Before using this process, work with your legal counsel to ensure that you're meeting these requirements.
This article has the sections below:
To add onsite drug testing to your account, contact Checkr. You can order your first test about 10-12 business days after you add onsite oral fluid drug test to your account.
- Confirm that you have received the OralTox drug test collection kits.
- On your phone or device, download the OT Scan app from the Google Play store or the Apple App Store.
- Email email@example.com to add users to the OT Scan app.
Before the end of each day, log in to the OT Scan app and check for pending results in Menu > Results.
Checkr offers panels that can test between 4 and all 10 of the substances below:
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
Premier Biotech's website has a video overview of the collection and test process.
The sample collection process follows the sequence below:
- You send an invitation to the candidate.
- The candidate submits their personally identifiable information (PII).
- The candidate travels to your chosen location.
- On your phone or device, sign in to the OT Scan app. Open the order for the candidate. Collect the candidate's signature, and scan the collection kit.
The app calls the candidate the donor.
- Give the collection kit to the candidate to swab their mouth. Then, seal the collection kit and wait 10 minutes for the test to complete.
- You scan the results, and the OT Scan app shows a result of inconclusive, invalid, or negative. Proceed based on the test result:
- Inconclusive: Inconclusive results require additional review. Use the steps below:
- Scan the barcode for the FedEx package.
- Ask the candidate to initial the security seal.
- In the OT Scan app, complete the chain of custody form.
- Prepare the collection kit for shipping.
- In the OT Scan app, enter the candidate's phone number.
- Ship the collection kit to the lab using FedEx. After the lab tests the sample and a medical review officer (MRO) reviews it, Checkr shows the result.
- Invalid: Invalid results can happen if there were errors in the collection. Use the steps below:
- Tap Done to return to the home screen.
- Retrieve the order for the same candidate.
- Collect a new sample with a new collection kit.
- Negative: Negative results mean that the sample contains none of the tested substances. You can discard the specimen. Checkr immediately shows negative results on the candidate’s report.
Log out of the OT Scan app and log back in if Checkr doesn't show results as expected.
The OT Scan app might not promptly send the result to Checkr for a reason below:
- Delay between logging in to the app and starting a test
- Delay between tests
- Network connection issue
Medical review officer (MRO) process for onsite oral fluid drug tests
When the lab can't verify inconclusive results, a medical review officer must review the results. Inconclusive results appear after the lab tests the sample and an MRO reviews it. MRO review extends the average turnaround time up to 10 business days.
Checkr partners with Premier Biotech’s MRO, Dr. Khella, for this review. The process includes the steps below:
- The MRO reviews the inconclusive result with the candidate.
- The MRO determines whether the candidate takes prescription medication that would show evidence of the tested substance. If needed, the MRO verifies the prescription with the pharmacy.
- If the MRO needs to contact the candidate, they make 3 attempts within 1 business day.
If the MRO can't contact the candidate during this time, results remain pending for an additional 72 business hours to give the candidate time to call back.
If the candidate doesn't respond, the result appears in the final report as “Positive-UTCD” (Unable To Contact Donor).
If you need to contact Dr. Khella at Industrial Medical Testing, LLC, call 888-808-4676.
To find the results of a drug test, open the candidate’s report and click Health test. For more details, you can download the Health test PDF from the Report information section of the candidate's report.
Checkr receives results as negative or positive:
- Negative indicates that the test showed no evidence of the tested substance.
- Positive indicates that the test showed evidence of one or more of tested substances.
Checkr can't expedite reports for onsite oral fluid drug tests. Checkr also can't change a test's result. If a candidate wants to dispute oral fluid drug test results, they can contact the MRO directly at 888-808-4676.
Contact Checkr about the topics below:
- Report status questions
- OT Scan app questions, including adding and deleting users
- OralTox collection kit orders using this form that you email Checkr
- Technical issues
After receiving the invitation, the candidate does the steps below:
- Enter personal information.
- Acknowledge receipt of applicable forms and notifications, including those below:
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Acknowledgment and authorization for a background check
- Other state and required disclosures as applicable