Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will help current GoodHire / BambooHR integration users to move off of that integration and implement the new Checkr / BambooHR integration. The new Checkr / BambooHR provides a much-improved user experience allowing customers to select a background check package, order the check, view the ETA, and see background check results, all from within the BambooHR platform!
- STEP 1 - Disabling the GoodHire Integration
- STEP 2 - Adding Checkr to BambooHR
- STEP 3 - Installing the Application
- STEP 4 - Installing the Application
- STEP 5 - Cleaning up your BambooHR account
- BambooHR Access
- BambooHR Help
- Using the Checkr Dashboard
- Frequently Asked Questions
The following items are required to initiate BambooHR / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following:
- Access to BambooHR, with admin rights
- Disable the GoodHire integration in BambooHR before the Checkr integration is activated. Follow the steps in this guide to learn how.
STEP 1 - Disabling the GoodHire Integration
I already use the BambooHR | GoodHire integration, how do I start using the BambooHR | Checkr integration?
- To disable the BambooHR | GoodHire integration, a user with GoodHire admin access levels should log in to the GoodHire Account
- After logging in, select the Account tab in the left-side navigation bar and navigate Integrations.
- Toggle BambooHR OFF to disable the integration
STEP 2 - Adding Checkr to BambooHR
To enable Checkr from within BambooHR:
- Install the new app in BambooHR
- Must be done by a BambooHR admin
- Navigate to Account Settings, select the Apps section and install the Checkr App
- You will be redirected to enter your BambooHR account subdomain*.
- *The subdomain is the first part of your BambooHR URL. For example, if your BambooHR URL is https://helpcontent.bamboohr.com, your subdomain would be helpcontent
- Next, follow the steps and log into Checkr from the modal, then complete the installation.
STEP 3 - Installing the Application
Navigate to Settings Apps within Checkr. Click Install next to the Checkr app to begin. A modal will appear for you to connect your Checkr account and install the integration in BambooHR. You will need to log in to Checkr before you can initiate the installation. After installing the new app, Checkr will need to approve your account, which can take up to 24 hours. You will get an email notification of the approval from Checkr.
STEP 4 - Cleaning up your BambooHR account
When you previously set up the BambooHR | GoodHire integration, we had you create custom statuses within Settings in your BambooHR account. Those statuses should now be deleted to avoid confusion. To delete these statuses, navigate to Settings, then click Hiring, and then Candidate Statuses. Delete the following statuses from the Candidate Statuses list:
- Initiate Background Check - GoodHire
- Pending Background Check - GoodHire
- Completed Background Check - GoodHire
You are now ready to use the new integration.
STEP 5 - Begin ordering your Background Checks
To initiate a background check through Checkr, click the gear icon on the candidate record in BambooHR. Then click Run Background Check. This action will send the candidate information to your Checkr account to begin a new background check. If the candidate already exists in your Checkr account, the status will automatically change to Background Check In Progress.
A modal will appear for you to enter the following information:
- Candidate email address
- Background Check Package
- Click Send Background Check to finish
Once the background check has been submitted, a tile will display the status of the background check on the candidate profile. An authenticated Checkr user can hover over the tile and click the three dots to view the report in Checkr or cancel the request.
When a request is canceled or Checkr expires, you will have the option to run another background check. After a report has been canceled or expired for more than 72 hours, the tile will disappear and a new request for a background check can be made from the gear icon.
The status tile will still be visible to Hiring Leads and Collaborators that do not have access to request a background check, however, they will not be able to perform this functionality. See the Access section for more information.
You can track the history of the background check under the History subtab within the Notes tab on the candidate profile. BambooHR will track when the request is sent and by who, if the request is canceled, and when the request is complete. Click on the link to open the report in the Checkr dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
- Do you need help changing a candidate's status in BambooHR?
- Need to hire a candidate and begin their self-onboarding process?
- Want to learn more about BambooHR and Checkr's Partnership? Visit BambooHR's Marketplace.
- Visit BambooHR / Checkr Help Center
Using the Checkr Dashboard
While the BambooHR integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Create customizable packages and add-ons
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I set up the Checkr integration with BambooHR without disabling my existing GoodHire integration?
A: A user with GoodHire admin rights will need to disable the GoodHire integration first before integrating BambooHR with Checkr. We recommend disabling the GoodHire integration and moving all background check ordering to Checkr once your account is activated. By ordering background checks within Checkr, you will avoid reports being updated in GoodHire once your GoodHire access has been restricted to read-only.