Welcome to Checkr!
This guide will walk you through the Checkr / Ceipal integration process, and outline how to use the Checkr dashboard for the background check process.
The Checkr Help Center is a great resource for any questions that may not be covered in this user guide. If you have any questions not covered in this guide that are specific to Ceipal, please fill out a support request for additional assistance.
Ceipal/ Checkr User Guide
Ceipal / Checkr User Guide
This guide describes how to set up Checkr to use within Ceipal, such that Ceipal users can initiate and view Checkr background checks from within the Ceipal interface.
The following items are required to initiate Ceipal / Checkr integration. Please ensure you have the following before proceeding.
- Access to Ceipal, with admin rights
- Access to Checkr, with admin rights
Add Checkr to Ceipal
First, enable Checkr from within Ceipal. You must have admin access to both Checkr and Ceipal to complete this process.
Enable Checkr setup
To initiate the Checkr integration, go to your Ceipal home page.
- From the Ceipal home page, click on the user icon on the top right-hand corner.
- Within the menu dropdown, click “View Profile”.
- Within the user profile, select “User Preferences”.
- Within user preferences, scroll down to the “Checkr BGV” option.
- While viewing “Checkr BGV”, you can select the blue arrow icon to authorize and enable your connection with Checkr.
- By selecting the arrow icon, you will be redirected to the Checkr Sign Up / Sign In flow.
- If you are already a Checkr customer, select Sign In to connect your current Checkr account to Ceipal.
- If you are not a current Checkr customer, select Sign Up to create a Checkr account and follow the instructions below.
Create a Checkr account
If your company does not yet have a Checkr account, one must be created before integration with Ceipal.
To create an account for use with Ceipal:
- Click Sign Up when prompted.
- Enter your name and company contact information, and click Continue.
- Enter payment information. Invoices for background checks will come directly from Checkr, and not from Ceipal]. (Payment information may be edited on the Checkr dashboard after the account has been created.)
- Provide the requested credentialing information. This information is required by law to ensure that only legitimate companies, with legitimate business needs, can run background checks.
- Note: Select Purpose: Pre-employment to use Checkr to run background checks for hiring/employment purposes.
- Click Continue to submit your information to Checkr for review. Once the credentialing process is complete, Checkr will notify both Ceipal and you, and you may begin ordering background checks through the Ceipal platform.
- Credentialing typically takes 1-2 business days. If Checkr needs additional information, they will reach out to you directly by email.
Order Background Checks
- From the top menu bar within the Ceipal application, navigate to the Applicants tab.
- The Applicants tab shows all of the applicants and the jobs they have applied for.
- By clicking into an applicant and then section Submission Record, you will be brought to the applicant’s job submission.
- On the submission page, the top menu bar will have an array of options. By Selecting the icon highlighted in the image below, you will be able to select Initiate Background Check.
- Once selected, you will next select “Initiate Checkr Background Check” from the dropdown.
- A window will light-frame titled “Checkr Background Screening”
- Within the window, please fill out the applicable candidate information.
- Once the information is complete, you will select “Initiate” to initiate the background check order for the candidate.
- If initiated successfully, you will see a window popup with the message “Candidate initiated for background verification through Checkr Background Screening”.
Monitoring Background Checks
- To review and monitor an applicant’s background check status, you can either navigate to the Applicants Tab or the Job Posting Tab and click on both the applicant and their specific job submission.
- Within an applicant’s submission overview, you can select “Background Checks” from the top menu bar.
- Here the applicant will have a “Background Check Results” section which will reflect the Background Check Requested, Processing Status, Result, Last Updated, ETA as well as a link to the Checkr dashboard to review the report within Checkr.
- Please note, “Background Check Results” can show multiple background checks requested for the applicant.
- Underneath “Background Check Results”, the user will see an “Activities” section, which details the recent activity log for the requested BGC.
For monitoring purposes, Ceipal also offers a Background check status consolidated report where the user can see the status of all the orders in a single place and can open the report of the respective order from the screen below.
Once Complete, click on it to open the report in the Checkr Dashboard, and review details. (For more information on reports and report statuses, see How do I interpret a background report in the Checkr Help Center.)
Most background checks will be completed within 24 hours, but the time to complete can range from a few minutes to a few weeks, depending on the type of check ordered, the geographic location of the candidate, and/or county courthouse operations.
Use the Checkr Dashboard
While the Ceipal integration allows users to order background checks and view their status, the following features are available only within Checkr:
- Background check invitation links
- Full background check report results
- Adverse Action initiation and processing tools
- Checkr settings
For a quick overview of the Checkr Dashboard, please see Getting started with Checkr.